Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 63,493 times

Advertisements

We are planning to add a screened in porch (~18 X 15 ft), plus a 5 ft deep walkway to connect the porch to the existing, small backporch/entryway to our house. It also means building new wooden stairs, and removing a 10 ft fence.

The quote we received is $41,000. If we add a gas fireplace and upgrade some features (IPE flooring, wrought iron instead of wood handrail, composite roof instead of metal roof), that would add another $10K. The $10K for upgrades doesn't sound so bad to me as the $41k for a basic screened in porch with electricity (and hopefully painted, but not sure if that's in the cost).

In addition, we are adding 2 cisterns to catch water, which is another $7,000.

I would love feedback on whether this seems reasonable in the Atlanta area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Shed roof, or gable roof? How far off the ground? And is it flat, or severely pitched?
Hell, doesn't matter- that's way over the top.
DM me, tell me who you got the quote from, I may be able to give you some other names.

Basically, you'll have to base your price on a multitude (at least 3) of quotes. Then you'll see who's in the ballpark and who's not.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
That price seems pretty insane. We added a room that is configured like a porch, but it is a full room, enclosed, insulated, wired and plumbed. It has about 11 wnidows and 2 exterior doors and double doors to the kitchen. It is about 8 or 9 feet wide and 22 feet long. It cost considerably less than $41,000. Heck in many areas you can buy a small (1200 s.f.) house for $41,000. Are they building the porch with gold plated steel studs? Marble floors? Perhaps you have a hot tub and a fountain in there?

For $7,000 you could probably have driller1 drive down and instal a well for you and produce 10,000 times the amount of water that your cistern would ever catch.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
That is an insanely high price. It should cost less than half for the screen porch and walkway even if you are using high end synthetic porch materials like Azek ($40/12ft. board) and copper plated brass screens with stainless staples.

Ask the contractors to detail out the bids as far as materials and labor so you know exactly what you are supposed to be getting. Also suggest calling about and checking the retail/contractor prices of the materials you plan to have your screen porch and walkway built so you have an idea how much the contractor is hiking up the price of materials.

If you are in Atlanta proper are you having to pay an insanely high price for your building permits?

For that cistern price I hope it includes all the plumbing, pump, and pressurization. Are you having concrete cisterns crafted or using a prefabricated plastic tank? If plastic and if there is any chance you may have to one day use the water for drinking water, be certain the tanks are BPA free.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 63,493 times
Thank you! for the cisterns, the cost break down is a gravel bed to sit on (which is $800) and two 1275 G cisterns, plumbing, pump, filters. (will be attached to 1-2 spickets to outside to be used for yard for $6900. of the $6900, $2400 is the actual cost of the 2 cisterns and rest if the labor/installation. The city is forcing us to add these in order to get a permit, so we have to add them.

I do have 2 other porch questions, then have provided additional cost and materials info below:

1) The builder is recommending "Spray on closed cell polyurethane foam insulation on underside of porch roof" which is $1300 (15X18 porch). He initially included as he felt that it makes the porch significantly cooler in the summer by blocking heat that comes through the roof, which is composite. we also have one fan, which will be in the center of the porch. Given we told him the cost is too high and we have to find ways to cut, he said we can cut this - if it really makes a big difference, then we want to keep the insulation, but if it doesn't, we'll drop - opinions welcome!

2) the design has 3 sections of screen (individual screens screwed in), with no vertical posts on the bottom section which is common. This allows for more visability, which is nice. however, we have small children and i'm worried that they will lean against the screens causing them to rip over time. He is making the lower horizontal wood beam, made of trim, stick out enough to put a drink on; which also helps keep a kid from leaning directly on the screen, but not sure if i have a valid concern... am sure it will cost more to add vertical bars as well as block view, but don't want constant repairs; i don't think safety is a concern since screens are screwed in. Options welcome.

The builder does use high end materials for everything - for example, IPE wood floor in the 15X18 porch area, brick around the 5 footings (4 corners and under a gas fireplace), Windsor 1 and Apex wood frame which is $6000 for framing labor and materials, Ceiling made of Tongue & Groove 1X6 vs bead?? board.

The cost of obtaining a permit is $1400 (have not looked to see whether there's any mark up there), and he charges a contracting fee.

Obviously, we can cut costs by switching to other materials, but if the high end materials are marked up extravagantly, so will lower end materials.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You can throw around all the numbers you want! It's still ridiculously high!
And I sense you have made no attempt to seek other bids.
I really have no reason to go on but;

1. Forget the insulation! It's a screened porch! It's not a conditioned space- and the difference the insulation would make is minuscule. And if it's not ventilated properly, there's no tellin' what that will do to the composite roof (whatever that consists of).
2. Glass (tempered or polycarbonate). Lang Railings makes extruded aluminum railings for glass panels that replace the standard baluster type handrail. The cheaper and less maintenance path is solid kneewall- but less view obviously.

"The builder does use high end materials for everything"- and this justifies what? The biggest mistake most people make when it comes to basement finishes, additions, remodels, and in your case screen porches- is going over-the-top with the project and it doesn't "match" the rest of the house. And that equates to diminished return when selling. Granted, I understand the "want factor" but, you need to understand the "need factor" also.
I certainly see no need for Ipe wood planks for decking when it's going to be covered. The material is extremely dense and holds up well to direct exposure. In your case you could use a composite and achieve the same result- you could probably receive the same look with regular PT; sanded, stained, and sealed.
The brick is merely decorative- It's the post material inside I'd be concerned with.
The ceiling could be either- it's a matter of looks (and cost). 1X6T&G is a more authentic look, but you can get a "similar" look with beadboard. The ideal setup with the T&G is to leave rafters exposed, run the T&G over the rafters, then add a layer of plywood/OSB on top, then your roof material. The extra layer of ply/OSB prevents nails from breaking the surface on the finish side.
I find it very hard to believe that a permit for a screened-in deck would be $1400! Especially if the "city" is requiring you to install the cisterns (is this Decatur?). Hell, they should be paying you, ungrateful city bureaucrats.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Get more bids. Compare prices. Research material costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House