Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times

Advertisements

I haven't had much luck at all trying to get some answers about choosing a dark roof and I'm hoping someone on this area of the board may be able to offer some answers & insight firsthand.

We purchased an older home with a light yellow vinyl siding and currently has a light gray roof. I really like how a dark roof looks with this color siding and would like to consider either a black or dark gray, maybe even dark brown shingle, but I need to find out how choosing a dark colored roof will affect the electric bill when it comes to air conditioning.

First, the house is in Upstate SC for reference, so why there's cold winters, I'm more concerned in the hot summers there, and it gets well over in the 100's. There is no shade from any trees (unfortunately).

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who went from a light/dark roof to a dark/light roof and what you saw in the way of your electric bill during the summer/winter and if you felt any difference in the house between having the two different colors. If you have had experience, can you please tell me what type of shingle (3tab - architectual - etc) you had/have and what color you had/have. Did you install any type of extra ventilation if you went from a light'/dark roof, and if so, what?

I don't want to make a wrong decision and find my bills go sky high due to choosing a dark roof, but if the difference is minimal, I'd like to go with what I find asthetically pleasing to my eye.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,082 times
We had a black roof on our home in TX, but we also had Techshield Radiant Barrier which really helped keep the house cooler in the summer. Is this something you can do in SC?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
We had a black roof on our home in TX, but we also had Techshield Radiant Barrier which really helped keep the house cooler in the summer. Is this something you can do in SC?
Not sure, really don't know anything about it, but will definitely look in to it.

So you HAD a black roof - do you have a dark roof now, and if not, which do you prefer, and why? Do you notice a difference between having a dark roof and a light one, if you have(had) a light one?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

17,469 posts, read 65,994,520 times
The difference is minuscule at best.
The difference is in the amount of insulation and ventilation(convection vs. power).

Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I had a black roof when I bought this house and later changed to a lighter grey and can tell you the black was much hoter in the summer time.Tech sahilrd will only drop teh temperature so uch and not seal all ehat out. Last I knew the average was 20 degress on medium colored roof. If you ever had a room over a grage then you know that having under the room even with insualtion means its hotter than others.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep those thoughts in mind as I keep looking til I make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House