Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Not to beat a dead horse here, and I have no benefit from this, but the product I used as shown in the pics above solves all of the grout problems. It is easy to apply, inexpensive, and it has been over a year now and it still looks as good as the day I applied it.

When I had discolored grout, I used everything, even a focused steam cleaner, and it was clean, but had light and dark areas.....this product solved that.

Frank
Just did ours a month ago. So glad to know that we can expect it to last!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse here, and I have no benefit from this, but the product I used as shown in the pics above solves all of the grout problems. It is easy to apply, inexpensive, and it has been over a year now and it still looks as good as the day I applied it.

When I had discolored grout, I used everything, even a focused steam cleaner, and it was clean, but had light and dark areas.....this product solved that.

Frank
Sorry Frank
Wasn't ignoring your post at all.

This is exactly it. Have steam cleaned and everything else cleaned and the color looks uneven.

Think will give it a go, but I need to look at the website again as I was a little confused as to what I needed to buy.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Sorry Frank
Wasn't ignoring your post at all.

This is exactly it. Have steam cleaned and everything else cleaned and the color looks uneven.

Think will give it a go, but I need to look at the website again as I was a little confused as to what I needed to buy.
Oh, I wasn't thinking I was being ignored, and I do not wish to push anything on anyone else. It was just that from reading your posts, it sounded exactly the situation I had. I built my house myself 10 years ago, did my own tile and groutwork, and sealed the grout properly. It did not stay looking nice for long. I tried everything, and even after hours of cleaning, it was only a bit better.

The owner of groutshields is named Mike, and he was very helpful. A little bit goes a long way, you do not need a lot. It is very easy to apply. Basically you just clean it (haha) a bit, then apply a THIN bead of the stuff in the grout line, brush it in like a toothbrush, then wipe off the excess. Done.

On their website it has some video....good to watch. Nice thing was this also allows you to change the color of your grout if you want. In our master bath, I foolishly used pink grout. It looked nice 10 years ago. Now, after a total color change in there I thought I'd have to grind out the old grout to change the color. With this, I changed the color easily.......now the whole bathroom looks new and great....with NO pink!

This is one of those rare house jobs that is easy, inexpensive, and totally a positive upgrade. Wish all jobs were like that!

Frank

Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 AM

A poster recently asked me if the grout job has held up. I can honestly say it has. This year I sold that house up north where I did this. The grout showed beautifully. It holds up great.

I now live very happily in central Florida. Life is good.

Frank

Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Thanks SO much, Frank, for the info on Groutshield -- and for the update (without which I'd never have seen this thread).

I've tried just about everything to remove the discoloration on most of my grout. I'm going to order this stuff now. Thanks again!

Edited to ask Frank: did you use the Groutshield cleaning product before using the grout sealer? I have a steam cleaner but I wonder if I'd get better results using the Groutshield cleaner first.

Last edited by TFW46; 09-15-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 AM

TFW,
Not quite sure I understand your question...but when I installed the tile floors and grout I also sealed them, and resealed them every few years at least once.

But the sealer wears off after awhile, thus the staining. Put some water on the existing stained grout in a few places. If it does not bead up, the grout is porous and will stain more.

With groutshield, you do a quick cleaning of the grout first. It will still look stained of course, ( that is why you bought groutshield). Then you apply the groutshield. The stains disappear. When the groutshield is dry, you are pretty much done. You do NOT need any sealer ever again. The groutshield is an opaque, stain hiding, mold/mildew fighting sealer. You need NOTHING else.

They say you can use it with any tile, etc......but I have had the best results with it on floor tile where the grout lines are wider then like shower tile.

I like groutshield so much that I would use it on even brand new installations instead if the usual clear sealer.....although they also make a clear sealer.

Frank

Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanks, Frank. The Groutshield site gives you the option of buying the kit, which includes a cleaning agent that is used prior to the coloring/sealant, or just buying the coloring/sealant. I wondered if you had used the Groutshield cleaning agent or if you used some other kind of cleaner prior to the coloring/sealant.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM

I used the groutshield cleaner. At the time it seemed the kit was the better deal. I think most any good cleaner will work. Remember, you are not really trying to get the impossible stains out, just removing any top dirt, grease, etc that will hurt the bonding process.....kind of like washing a wall before you paint it.

Their cleaner is very concentrated, so a little goes a LONG way.

Frank

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Frank
Does this stuff only apply an overcoat to a good grout job or is it thick enough to fill in small cracks /uneven spots in the old grout?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I used the groutshield cleaner. At the time it seemed the kit was the better deal. I think most any good cleaner will work. Remember, you are not really trying to get the impossible stains out, just removing any top dirt, grease, etc that will hurt the bonding process.....kind of like washing a wall before you paint it.

Their cleaner is very concentrated, so a little goes a LONG way.

Thanks so much for all your help, Frank!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House