Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

If you want to fix this, you will have to take your microwave off the wall, regardless of how cumbersome it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
It appears I would have to take the microwave off the shelf for me to see the fdamper/flap. This would be rather cumbersome to take the whole microwave off. Isd there a way to see the flap without taking apart the microwave. Can I unscrew the shell and check it out with the microwave still attached to the shelf. It has been cool here and I do feel a small trace of cool air
Nope. Doesn't work that way. As the other poster said, you'll have to take it down. If the unit is more than a couple years old, it may be quite heavy because of the transformers.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
zotmeister, I am having the same problem but I don't have a microwave/vent...just an exhaust hood. I currently have cardboard and foil blocking the exhausts due to enormous amounts of cold air pouring through the vents. I never knew who to call to fix it. Finally called Sears who referred me to a guy who never showed up. I've never been on this site before. I'm going to go outside tomorrow, measure and see if there is a flap or vent that is stuck. What a PIA.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 AM

246 posts, read 1,354,953 times
Rockstar

check if your exhaust outside the house has a "flap" that opens and closes based on the vent being on. This might help. I don't have a flap on my vent, its just covered in mesh to prevent birds and small animals from getting in.

When the weather gets warmer, I am going to have someone replace the external vent with one that has a flap, you can get that at any home improvement store, just make sure they caulk around it so there is no water getting in between the walls.

As for yourself, is the foil and cardboard blocking the vent you are using done on the inside (above the range) or the outside?

This is a great site for all home improvement stuff. I got great info on cabinet hinges that were hard to find. Several posters pointing me to distributors I knew nothing about. I order the items and solved my problem in a couple of days.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM

35 posts, read 59,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister
It appears I would have to take the microwave off the shelf for me to see the fdamper/flap. This would be rather cumbersome to take the whole microwave off. Isd there a way to see the flap without taking apart the microwave. Can I unscrew the shell and check it out with the microwave still attached to the shelf. It has been cool here and I do feel a small trace of cool air

Nope. Doesn't work that way. As the other poster said, you'll have to take it down. If the unit is more than a couple years old, it may be quite heavy because of the transformers.

i have the same problem, my micro was intalled incorrectly (it tilts down) so i quess i have to remove it anyway, what a PIA that's gonna be, especially because im a klutz...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,689 times
i removed my kitchen stove vent and want to close up the hole how do I repair it, what do i need?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcum View Post
i removed my kitchen stove vent and want to close up the hole how do I repair it, what do i need?
What "WE" need is pictures- then we can tell YOU what you need.
Your one sentence is a bit on the vague side.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What "WE" need is pictures- then we can tell YOU what you need.
Your one sentence is a bit on the vague side.
Awww. Wadded up newspaper should do the job... See, didn't need a picture.

Seriously folks, KB is right. Some of the questions that get posted are like the wife saying there is a burglar out there in the dark and expecting you to shoot wildly and just wing him. Specifics. Pictures. Descriptions. Please.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcum View Post
A carpenter would be a good start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House