Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times

Advertisements

Alright; before everybody gets carried away with blaming the builder and calling him a liar, cheat, and dumba$$, it is possible that the cabinet distributor and/or contractor only had the smaller size in that particular species. So, in turn the builder says "that's the only size".
The part that is total BS is he is not following a standard. As a builder I built a standard platform that all houses would conform. From the foundation, floor system, and insulation; to roof shingles and vanity heights ( which by-the-way were 36"[AFF] in the master and private bath, and 32" in the J&J bath and 36" in the powder or a pedestal- buyer decision.).
So, if you want any ammunition at all- that it! As ds said, forget the BS about "that particular species".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Building a base is what most cabinet makers do to raise older cabinet that people want to keep. The key tho is having it stained and finished to match.Normally the entire cabinet has to be refinished by a professional to really look good.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Building a base is what most cabinet makers do to raise older cabinet that people want to keep. The key tho is having it stained and finished to match.Normally the entire cabinet has to be refinished by a professional to really look good.
Where on earth did you wash that nonsense up from?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Alright; before everybody gets carried away with blaming the builder and calling him a liar, cheat, and dumba$$, it is possible that the cabinet distributor and/or contractor only had the smaller size in that particular species. So, in turn the builder says "that's the only size".
The part that is total BS is he is not following a standard. As a builder I built a standard platform that all houses would conform. From the foundation, floor system, and insulation; to roof shingles and vanity heights ( which by-the-way were 36"[AFF] in the master and private bath, and 32" in the J&J bath and 36" in the powder or a pedestal- buyer decision.).
So, if you want any ammunition at all- that it! As ds said, forget the BS about "that particular species".
Yea I'll go with what you said. We usually agree on any major issues. The different heights you use in the master VS the secondary baths I also said in my post. I also agree that the pedestal is a buyer decision. Aren't Pedestals at 36"? Eh.... no matter.

I am old enough to remember when customers first started to ask for raised vanities, which quickly became named "adult height". Even my brand which is the largest and oldest cabinet brand in the world did not put out adult height vanities. We built a 3" high platform from scrap, placed the vanity on it, and skinned the toe kick and the exposed side which covered the scrap made platform. Only funny thing was a 7" tall toe space. Honestly I never heard anyone complain about the high toe. Having the sink up higher was just about the greatest thing for most people.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default I think the builder is largely making up a pretty weak story BUT...

...the fact is ot could very well a LOT of work to fix this kind of screw-up.

If the builder would have a caught this before installation it would be fairly easy to fix. Now there is plumbing connected, a countertop, maybe riled backsplash, mirror, towel bars, maybe electrical that could need to be modified /worked around. With labor and materials those could be well over a thousand dollars worth of expense.

Of course depending on how tight supply vs demand is (and I know that with some builders having ceased building new houses for over a year there are some areas where new houses are harder to come by...) AND just how "skeleton" the builder has let his crews get it may be a huge hassle to make this kind of change.

Personally I would worry about what sort of quality control this demonstrates but a whole lot of builders have had a whole lot of practice trying to snow people so this is yet another reason why I would remind everyone that inspections for even brand new houses ought to be part of the process...

Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Or you can just demand a proper vanity at adult height like they should do in the first place. Keep in mind some builders will put the short vanities in all the secondary baths but the master bath absolutely should have adult height. Whatever the case these issues should be spelled out in the initial contract.
Wouldn't you say though that the OP lost any leverage to do something custom when they bought a inventory home? That is like a built in excuse for a builder.

I mean the builder might not know what the heck they are even talking about, they probably just sub out the cabinet work, and who knows it could be some random cabinet place that happens to make birch cabinets at random heights. It's possible. Small cabinet shop,birch is a lower grade, they make them shorter than maple and cherry, not that far out of the realm of possibility. I guess I'm just trying to say don't just demonize the builder, the cabinet company is probably who they should be trying to find out some info from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House