U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,663,486 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

This will be our first winter in our new house. It has been bitterly cold here in NYC for the past few days. I have my thermostat set at 75 when we come home at night which is usually around 6pm. Its set at 62 or 65 when I am not home in the daytime. It’s been fine & working perfectly. Now that it’s cold, my thermostat hasn’t moved past 70 degrees. I even turned it up to 80 and it went up to 73. Is there something I am not doing correctly? I’m freezing!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM

9,006 posts, read 9,128,981 times
You said it's your new house, but is it new to you or brand new? Older homes can have a lot of heat loss due to poor insulation, poor weather sealing, etc. Wouldn't hurt to have someone check the house for these issues. Also not a bad idea to have a tech come out and look over the furnace, if you haven't already.

Also, what kind of heat are you using? Forced air, radiators, baseboard, etc? That will help us determine what the problems could be.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks so much. It’s our first home so new for us, but it was built in 1980 so it’s an old home. It’s a heated with baseboard heating. I guess that means with the hot water tank. Its 3 levels. Basement, first floor & second floor. The basement is extremely hot since this is where all the equipment is located but once I go up stairs I am cold. I lived in an apartment building all my life so when you say furnace I am completely lost. I know its 2 units in the basement, 1 is the hot water tank and the other is some weird looking thing that has a canister attached. My guess is that’s the furnace!

Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM

5,356 posts, read 17,536,131 times
You may be having a problem with the circulating pump in addition to very little insulation. What may be happening is that the pump may not be circulating hot water to the second floor because of the demand on the bottom two floors. I assume you have at least 3 zones. Try this. Turn down both the basement and first floor thermostats. See if that warms the upstairs area.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM

41,817 posts, read 46,561,091 times
Could be air in the lines too. If it's hot water baseboard you're going to have air bleeder(s) that could be automatic or manual. If it's automatic it may be malfunctioning, if it's manual you need to bleed the air yourself. These could be anywhere and you'll probably have a few of them, check where the pipe first enters the first room if you know which one it is.

A word of caution, the water inside this pipe is going to be extremely hot, bleeding the air from a system needs to be done carefully. Since there is lot of possibilities here and different types of bleeders giving specific advice is pretty pointless.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 AM

Thank you for all the advice. I think I am just going to get some basic service done and have someone come take a look at what’s going on. I am just clueless as to what to look for. I just hope not to be overcharged since I really do not know what basic maintenance will cost on the systems. Thank you again. I will also try heating the levels separately to see how it goes.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM

21,396 posts, read 12,938,255 times
i start with the simple-have the furnace guy check your thermostat. That's what tells the furnace to turn on and off. And it's a relatively cheap repair.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 AM

29,628 posts, read 71,782,039 times
It is also possible that your boiler is undersized and cannot keep up in really cold weather.

Do you have a fireplace? Is the damper closed?

Also check your doors and windows ans see if there is any air blowing in at the bottom or around the sides. Look up in your attic and see how much insulation is in there. It is really easy and pretty inexpesive to add morre there. Adding insulation in the walls is costly, and sometimes impractical.

Keep in mind that many insulating or sealing methods are simply not worth it. If you spend $24,000 on new widnows and end up saving $50 per month, it will take you 40 years to pay for the windows, and that is without factoring in the value of immediate money (but that may be offset by increases in heating costs). In other words, you will probably die before the windows save you enough money to make them worthwhile. Also storm windows can save you the same or nearly the same amount at a tiny fraction of the cost. I am currently experimenting with making interior storm windows myself. I may be able to make them for about $20 - $30 per window compared with nearly $300 each to buy custom made interior storm windows.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM

41,817 posts, read 46,561,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you spend $24,000 on new widnows and end up saving $50 per month, it will take you 40 years to pay for the windows,
That's a damn big house or some very expensive windows if you're going to spend $24K. I've worked in the fuel delivery business for almost 20 years and from experience I can tell you windows and insulation are well worth the investment. I had customers put new windows in that have cut their fuel bills in half, granted they were usually replacing some very old single pane windows but the point is the savings can be quite substantial and the investment would pay for itself in a very short time.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's a damn big house or some very expensive windows if you're going to spend $24K. I've worked in the fuel delivery business for almost 20 years and from experience I can tell you windows and insulation are well worth the investment. I had customers put new windows in that have cut their fuel bills in half, granted they were usually replacing some very old single pane windows but the point is the savings can be quite substantial and the investment would pay for itself in a very short time.
I agree, I juts replaced my both bathrooms windows and what a huge difference, no more drafts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House