Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Right, we've been using toilet paper in our septic system for 15 years and as far as I know the people before us and the people before them (back to 1970) did, as well. The septic safe kind is clearly marked (and most of the major brands are marked, by the way, as septic safe, at least around here).

Something's wrong about that advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I'm thinking the advice about TP was only until the problem gets fixed. You wouldn't want to add something to the problem that has the potential to cause further blocking.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
After a very long week of being without a working septic system, the septic team came out and repaired the problem just in time before this big snow storm hit, closing all the roads. The tank had settled, causing the pipe to the leach field to bow and the contents were unable to flow uphill. The installer charged nothing and the pumper only $295. How lovely to have the system working again!

Now I'm wondering if using anti-bacterial dish detergents and hand soaps is bad for a septic system--might do a separate thread on that.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
After a very long week of being without a working septic system, the septic team came out and repaired the problem just in time before this big snow storm hit, closing all the roads. The tank had settled, causing the pipe to the leach field to bow and the contents were unable to flow uphill. The installer charged nothing and the pumper only $295. How lovely to have the system working again!

Now I'm wondering if using anti-bacterial dish detergents and hand soaps is bad for a septic system--might do a separate thread on that.
Try to lay off the anti-bacterial soaps as much as possible. I still use it for hand soap in the kitchen and bathrooms but not for dish soap and I severely limit my use of bleach to just "whites" in laundry and not for general cleaning.

This is the product I use 2x/yr. If you have lots of trees in a year or two you might consider the root dissolver too.

Roebic Laboratories, Inc. - 203-795-1283 - System Maintenance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House