Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times

Advertisements

Well, I just had my furnace inspected and we need a new one. They didn't red tag it but they did find a small crack which will just become a bigger crack in time (15 year old furnace and wasn't top of the line when it was put in so we're due.) So now, the question is, is it worth it to put in a 95% efficient furnace?

My total yearly heating bill is only just over $900 so I'm looking at just over $150 in savings every year (My house is very well insulated so my bills are low) . With the tax credit, I'm looking at about a 7-8 year pay back on the added cost. Only problem is, there's a pretty good likelihood we'll move before then.

Does a 95% efficient furnace help sell a house? Part of me wants to go with the 95% furnace simply to reduce our footprintand there's always the possibility we won't move but part of me is thinking that if we're going to sell, we're throwing away money if we install one.

So, what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
You need a furnace.

Don't worry about the payback, because it will help you sell your house.

People want a move in ready house without having to look forward to expensive repairs in the near future.

Just do it.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
I got one installed and it saves me about $15-$20 a month over my old one. If it's really worth it is a personal call, but if you do go to sell it will be a plus to mention you have a HE furnace.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 AM

964 posts, read 2,648,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, I just had my furnace inspected and we need a new one. They didn't red tag it but they did find a small crack which will just become a bigger crack in time (15 year old furnace and wasn't top of the line when it was put in so we're due.) So now, the question is, is it worth it to put in a 95% efficient furnace?

My total yearly heating bill is only just over $900 so I'm looking at just over $150 in savings every year (My house is very well insulated so my bills are low) . With the tax credit, I'm looking at about a 7-8 year pay back on the added cost. Only problem is, there's a pretty good likelihood we'll move before then.

Does a 95% efficient furnace help sell a house? Part of me wants to go with the 95% furnace simply to reduce our footprintand there's always the possibility we won't move but part of me is thinking that if we're going to sell, we're throwing away money if we install one.

So, what would you do?
I'd replace it. Cracks are bad news. What about CO poisoning risks?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Exteremly doubtful...

I have owned many homes with forced air heat, both to live in and as rental properties. To save money I often have used the "advertised specials" of less than honest HVAC companies. When they come out and perform a seasonal service (which should include cleaning the furnace / air conditioner heat exchanger, verifying safe operation of the burners / compressor, adjusting any set points , adding refridgerant , etc) for LESS THAN THEIR HOURLY RATE they make up for this by trying to sell new equipment.

Rarely have a bought the stuff they recommend.

95%+ of the time they say there is a crack they are MAKING IT UP -- the way modern heat exchangers are manufactured they are extremely durable. If theree is any question about CO call the utility company! They will send out a guy with a CO DETECTOR FOR FREE! Of course if the utility company finds CO in the part of the furnace it should not be they will wire off your gas service, so if you do this when it is cold be prepared to get a new furnace VERY quickly...

As to the value of a high efficiency furnace I have to say that in MOST cases the $20 or so it saves in fuel bills will NEVER offset the the several thousand dollars more in initial cost to install it, repair costs are also higher, and lifespan shorter... If you have a "save every bit of energy" house already it MIGHT make sense in that context, but most energy audit folks I talk to say you get better payback from old fashioned upgraded insulation...

Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:52 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
I would look at price and performance on several different models, and I'd talk with a local real estate agent, probably the one you would use to sell the shack when it comes to that, and get their take on how much a selling point the 95% furnace would be.

I have read that the most efficient furnaces are not the most trouble-free and reliable.

That said, and maybe this is just me, but I really hate to see new but low-grade appliances in a house I am thinking about buying. Like cheap new tires on a used car, I just don't like it. I'd rather get a better price and put in what *I* want.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

So, what would you do?
Just an FYI, but if your old furnace is a Carrier you might want to check into a recall or see if the part is still under warranty. I had an issue with my 14 yr. old high efficiency furnace this time last winter and got entirely new guts for the furnace an no expense except the service call charge because there had been a problem and the heat exchanger was under warranty from the manufacturer.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:38 AM

19,789 posts, read 22,695,361 times
We had two old Carriers both with cracked clamshells and they were seeping noxious gasses. We replaced them with 95% efficient heat pumps w/gas back-ups. We reduced our NG consumption by 50%, with a negligible increase in electric costs. House was built in 1970, not too tight but not too bad.

We sold that house in 5 days after putting it on the market this past spring. The new furnaces definitely was a selling point. It didn't add a whole lot of value to the house, but the proof of showing the utility usage drop was a big selling point and made our house stand out against other like homes that hadn't been upgraded.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,898,855 times
How much does a furnace cost? Our house built in 1985 has the original gas furnance (Whirlpool) and keeps on working year after year. We've been in the home for almost 3 years now. I know we are due to replace it but I'd like to keep the old one ticking as long as possible.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:15 AM

19,789 posts, read 22,695,361 times
It cost us $11,000 for 2 Heat Pumps/ gas back up furnaces 3 years ago. Roughly, if my memory serves me correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House