Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

This is really weird.

I changed the front door knob/lock about a year ago. It is a Quickset brand which is re-keyable. However, I didn't do that. I've just been using the key which came with it.

Suddenly, last night, my key just quit working. So did my wife's. Now, we can still lock and unlock the door from the inside, using the little twist button, but can't unlock it from the outside.

I've never had this happen before and don't have a clue why. Does anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
This is really weird.

I changed the front door knob/lock about a year ago. It is a Quickset brand which is re-keyable. However, I didn't do that. I've just been using the key which came with it.

Suddenly, last night, my key just quit working. So did my wife's. Now, we can still lock and unlock the door from the inside, using the little twist button, but can't unlock it from the outside.

I've never had this happen before and don't have a clue why. Does anyone else?
Have you tried "re-keying" to your existing key?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Have you tried "re-keying" to your existing key?
No. To do that, I'd had to have kept the little re-keying device, which I didn't.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
sounds like one of the cylinder pins sticking. a dry lubricant on the key should dislodge it. or be crazy like me and use a drop of oil off your car dipstick on the key and work it in there. good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
sounds like one of the cylinder pins sticking. a dry lubricant on the key should dislodge it. or be crazy like me and use a drop of oil off your car dipstick on the key and work it in there. good luck

Ok, thanks. I'll try the dry lubricant...not the motor oil!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Sometimes locks fail. Contact Kiwkset and ask if they have a warranty period.
All Kiwksets can be rekeyed. I guess they have a new series that you rekey without removing the core.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
No. To do that, I'd had to have kept the little re-keying device, which I didn't.
Well, there's certainly something to be said for learning things the hard way.

I have a "Gatehouse" (manufactured by Schlage) throw lock on all of my entry doors. In the grander scheme, it's probably a piece of crap compared to the real premium stuff that drug dealers, jewel merchants and the like use, but if you disassemble a kwikset and lay out the parts next to a similarly exploded gatehouse you will immediately see where that extra $40 went.

Maybe consider getting a better lockset to fix the problem?

*Or maybe it doesn't matter, because you will wonder where that $40 went when some a-hole kicks your deadbolt through the 3/4" pine door jamb*

Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Well, there's certainly something to be said for learning things the hard way.

I have a "Gatehouse" (manufactured by Schlage) throw lock on all of my entry doors. In the grander scheme, it's probably a piece of crap compared to the real premium stuff that drug dealers, jewel merchants and the like use, but if you disassemble a kwikset and lay out the parts next to a similarly exploded gatehouse you will immediately see where that extra $40 went.

Maybe consider getting a better lockset to fix the problem?

*Or maybe it doesn't matter, because you will wonder where that $40 went when some a-hole kicks your deadbolt through the 3/4" pine door jamb*

If the dry lube doesn't work, I guess I will replace it with something other than another Kwikset. I've used them before and they don't last very long. Maybe that's because Kwikset, which is now part of Black and Decker, has moved all their plants but one to either Mexico or China.

If the a-hole kicks in my door, I'll contemplate whether the cost of those 00 buck was worth it. He won't contemplate anything.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
If the dry lube doesn't work, I guess I will replace it with something other than another Kwikset. I've used them before and they don't last very long. Maybe that's because Kwikset, which is now part of Black and Decker, has moved all their plants but one to either Mexico or China.

If the a-hole kicks in my door, I'll contemplate whether the cost of those 00 buck was worth it. He won't contemplate anything.
From Texas? It sounds like you're speaking my language.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
From Texas? It sounds like you're speaking my language.

You speak "Boom?"

I tried shooting the keyhole full of graphite, but it didn't work. Next step is to dismantle it and see what's broken. I'll get right on that.....uh,....later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House