Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 PM

63 posts, read 372,540 times

Advertisements

Looking to add recessed lighting to my kitchen, but I'm uncertain how far apart the cans should be placed, and, where exactly they should be placed. I don't want them too far apart to create dark areas, but, of course not so close together either.

I'm sure those of you with some experience know how they work best.

Here is my kitchen layout. I don't know maybe you could paintbrush a layout or just explain it. I have ideas, but, I don't know.

Here are my thoughts:

- Switched above-cabinet lighting
- Dimmable under-cabinet lighting
- Dimmable recessed CFLs along counters
- Switched recessed lights above island (6' long island, 2 lights?)
- Switched or dimmable chandelier in dining room
- Switched or dimmable recessed lights in dining room (maybe 4 at corners?)

I'm not really sure what the 'light cone' is so to speak, and placement.

These are the recessed lights we are planning on using:
Halo 5 in. Dimmable CFL 26 Watt Insulation Contact Air Tite Remodel Housing - H573RICAT1D at The Home Depot
5" recessed IC-rated remodel dimmable CFL

I don't know if I want all the lights to be dimmable CFLs or just the kitchen. Might look funny if the dining room is incandescent and the kitchen is CFL.

I'm also thinking that above the island should just be recessed and not a hanging light due to low 8' ceilings, and keeping it a large open area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Here is the layout, please note the dimensions along the edges.

(The granite has been fixed)

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,524,681 times
I would suggest going to a lighting store and getting info from them. Even if you don't end up buying from them they can help you with what you need.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
First off, is there an attic or floor above the kitchen? If attic, is there insulation? If so, you need to get cans rated for insulation. Oh, I see the cans you want are insulation rated, so you're good to go on that.

For placement, I'd put one in front of the refrigerator, one in front of the stove, one above the sink (about where you would stand), and one in front of the dishwasher, about in the middle of that row of cabinets. On the cabinets by the dining room, I'd place 2 pendant lights. If you don't want pendant lights, go with 1 or 2 cans, depending on the spread from the one near the refrigerator. When we did our kitchen, while not the same layout as yours, I put a light above the counter across the refrigerator, hoping it would be enough. It wasn't, hence the one in front of the refrigerator. Your set up may be different enough that you can get by with one in that area.

All lights should be in front of the locations, about where you would stand, to get the best coverage. The ones over the open area should be centered over the cabinets to get the best coverage over the counter. They don't need to be centered on the appliance, so you can move them left or right to get a good spacing on the ceiling. You probably should start with the sink light and space appropriately. They'll look nicer when they are lined up, but the refrigerator light will need to be offset slightly because it sticks out.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM

165 posts, read 1,284,787 times
I don't know that you need cans in addition to a dining room chandelier. A multiple light chandelier (definitely dimmable!) should be enough light for dining. If you want to highlight a buffet or artwork add a "fish eye", a recessed light that can be aimed.

We had dimmable under-cabinet lights in our last house and I never used them on "dim". We never saw the need for dimmable ceiling lights in the kitchen; the overheads are on because we're working and want to see what we're doing with all those sharp knives : ) If you want just a glow from the kitchen while dining, keep the overheads off and only the under-cabinets on. Be sure to place the under-cabinet fixtures under the front of the upper cabinets so you can't see them while sitting in the dining room.

akck's pendant light suggestion is a good one.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
I agree that the lighting store needs to earn their keep by specifying the requirements, but I'm betting you are gonna end up with some low voltage under those cabinets because you will never get enough light on the counter tops from just the recessed fixtures. The size and height of the cabinets and the dark counters will make it really difficult. Good news is that the under cabinet LV lighting looks really cool.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 AM

I went to one lighting store but they weren't much help; guess I will need to try another. I don't like the idea of them planning it because I then feel obligated to buy from them, and we all know their prices are horribly inflated. Maybe I'll grab a couple switches heh.

To answer the questions:
I have an insulated attic above the kitchen, so I chose the IC rated cans.

akck, that is basically how we were thinking of putting in the lights! Glad that we're on the right track.

Regarding the pendant lights, we were a little concerned that they would seem to be in the way, being an open layout? Do you have an example of one you think might look good, (so I can see the style, not necessarily the exactly light).

GaryH3, you may be right. My thoughts were that we could light up the room fully and evenly if we were using it for something other than dining.

Maybe the lights don't need to be dimmable, I had read somewhere that it was nice if they were dimmable because you could set certain 'moods' with the lights.

If I opt not to get dimmable CFL I can save a grip of money on the fixtures. Would like to hear some more people's experience on this one!

Plan on using Seagull Lighting's Ambiance LX setup for the under-cabinet lighting.

Probably just some simple rope lighting above the cabinets hidden behind the molding.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Here are a couple wider angle pics to give some examples. Please ignore the mess!!!

I need to move the chandelier over to center it better in the dining room.

View over the island to the living room.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
akck, that is basically how we were thinking of putting in the lights! Glad that we're on the right track.

Regarding the pendant lights, we were a little concerned that they would seem to be in the way, being an open layout? Do you have an example of one you think might look good, (so I can see the style, not necessarily the exactly light).

You might try something like this:

Besa Lighting 1QP-5630 Mini Pendants - LightingCatalog.com

Or this:

Hudson Valley 7308 Mini Pendants - LightingCatalog.com

Not necessarily the color, but more for the shape and small size. As long as it is something small, I think it would enhance a dividing line between the kitchen and dining areas.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
I'd definitely vote for two pendant lights over the island for "focused" lighting.

As to the number of cans and spacing: You need to consider the "cone of light" eminating from the canned lighting and determine where that will hit at your cabinets. You don't want to cast shadows or have dark spots. Obviously you want lighting over work spaces such as the stovetop, sink, in front of the refrigerator, etc... .

How to layout Recessed Lighting Cans or High Hats

OP, did you ever get that counter top problem worked out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House