Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,225 times

Advertisements

Hello good people...

Here is my problem. I have a whirlybird/turbine vent on my roof that is leaking water. I have removed a small section of the ceiling (drywall) to make this repair because the water damage was quite evident. The leak was originating from the spindle that sits vertically at the center of the turbine. I originally caulked the old turbine around the top cap thinking water was entering via that part. I waited for it to rain and the same thing, water stilling dripped from the center spindle where three support arms connect to.

I figured my old whirlybird had seen better days and went out and got a brand new one. The installation was easy, take the old one off and put the new one on. All the holes were predrilled so there was no modifications made. I waited for rain, and when I checked my cardboard patch...there was water!!!

I'm completely stumped, I don't understand what could be the problem. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,221 times
Finding roof leaks can be tricky but this one sounds easy. My guess is that the materials (flashing/shingles/felt) surrounding the base of the vent are allowing the penetration of water.

Preventing that is where the skills of a good roofer can come into play. Get a couple estimates on fixing a leaky roof around your turbine vent. My guess is that roofers in the area would see that problem frequently.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
It is normal for these to admit a tiny amount of water. If the cardboard was just water spotted and not soaked, don't worry about it, or lay some poly sheeting in a slight bowl shape under the vent. If there is significant water, find something like a powder that you can dust around the area to try to find leak points.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,933 times
Take a hose up on the roof and let water pour out onto the roof around the vent, but not into the turbine itself. Then look for water leaks. This should tell you if you have flashing issues or not.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Turbine vents are notorious for allowing water in- especially when static.
The principle to "prevent" water from getting in is water adhesion. And the principle only works when the turbine is dead-on level and plumb. But the vent looses a lot of that ability as it gets dirty.
The other "problem" I have with them is vibration.
I had a buyer several years ago that insisted on turbines (I don't use them as standard equipment), After two years of service I get a call from this H/O complaining about a vibration in his house.
To make a long story short- it was the turbine. My roofer said the bearing was starting to go. So, he oiled it. I informed the H/O of the situation, a month later he had my roofer out there taking them out and installing turtlebacks.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Never had a vibration problem with ours until a hurricane lifted one off and deposited it in the yard. (Lotsa stuff vibrated in the hurricane. ) I tried putting it back on and the off-center loading was pretty obvious. It was a simple replacement.

A warning - time and time again I've heard of problems with turtlebacks with powered fans. The ones that are powered from the mains are fire hazards, and the solar ones are next to worthless. The plain vanilla ones seem to work fine, but I would disconnect and remove the fan in any powered one. I had TWO neighbors have 'em go up in smoke.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Never had a vibration problem with ours until a hurricane lifted one off and deposited it in the yard. (Lotsa stuff vibrated in the hurricane. ) I tried putting it back on and the off-center loading was pretty obvious. It was a simple replacement.

A warning - time and time again I've heard of problems with turtlebacks with powered fans. The ones that are powered from the mains are fire hazards, and the solar ones are next to worthless. The plain vanilla ones seem to work fine, but I would disconnect and remove the fan in any powered one. I had TWO neighbors have 'em go up in smoke.
Speaking of...

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "in-line" AFCI? Google says it isn't sure...

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
^^ No. But there has been scuttle-butt about AFCI receptacles. But, I don't see the point- just make the whole circuit AF protected.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
^^ No. But there has been scuttle-butt about AFCI receptacles. But, I don't see the point- just make the whole circuit AF protected.
Good point.

Another question:

Do motors with carbon brushes trip AFCI?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,225 times
Hello and thanks to everyone for you input.

The leak isn't coming from the surrounding flashing/shingles. I have observed the leak myself when it has rained, and I see it dripping directly from the center spindle. The last time it rained I made sure to get my hand up into the roof from the hole cut through the ceiling and feeling around the cylindrical collar to check for leaks....nothing. This is so frustrating! I have no idea if it's has anything to do with the pitch of my roof...which is very low. I have a home built in the 60's so the roof line angle is low somewhere around 5 - 10 degrees (close to flat).

I purchased this home about two years ago, and I didn't notice the paint cracking on the ceiling nor did my inspector . Sometime later I noticed the paint splitting and cracking on the ceiling with some discoloration and that is when I discovered the leak. I have no clue how long it had been there. I'm not sure if there is a resolution with the actual whirlybird/turbine, no one at the big box stores have any solutions beyond replacing it, which I have. My only idea is to place a piece of plastic and small bowl or aluminum baking dish underneath the whirlybird and repair the hole in the ceiling. Is this a dumb move? Any other suggestions to remedy this problem? Change vent to a different style?

Thanks again to those who have already commented and to those who may stop by and comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House