Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times

Advertisements

put this on the interior thread, but thought it may be more appropriate here...

We just built a house. We have hardwoods in the foyer, kitchen, and morning room. Everytime I walk on them in certain areas I feel a little bump...a little area where one board is a little raised from the board next to it. Normal? Do I have to have the builder come back and fix the floor? I have a little oCD so everytime I walk on them it drives me mad! My last hardwoods were 15 years old so very worn and I never noticed anything like that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Get down on the floor with a metal ruler and a nice long builder's level......

There are a whole bunch of less than clear "standard tolerances" that you could research, but the National Association of Home Builders suggests that anything more than a quarter inch out of level for any give 32 inch run is "out of tolerance" for the floor framing and anything more than a quarter of inch for a 10 ft run is o-o-t for finish floor...

What is the nature of these "bumb"? Are you talking about standard tongue and groove strip flooring? reclaimed planks? Hand scraped? site finished?

What is indoor realative humidity? I would invite builder to come on over, take a walk around in stocking feet and verify measurements.

Might be nothing, but if things are not right they could get worse...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Thank you! I will get a ruler and level... The builder is coming Thursday but I appreciate the guidelines so I will know what I am talking about!

The floor is your standard Bruce hardwood. We did go with a plank instead of just the standard that the builder offers...It is probably 2 1/2 plank...something like that. It's just bugging me to death.

Humidity...no idea. We keep the house around 68-70...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
It sounds to me like pre-finished floor with excessive over/under... that is, some of the boards are higher than the boards they are next to. That's a fairly common complaint for pre-finished wood flooring, especially from people who are used to site-finished wood flooring in a previous home. One possibility is that the subfloor was improperly prepared or dirty when the wood flooring was installed over it. Or it could just be cheap wood flooring. Hard to know without seeing it first-hand. For the boards that have this "bump", is it raised along the entire length of the board, or just part of it?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Just parts of it... And yep, some boards are higher than the board next to it...just in certain sections. My husband feels it but it doesn't bother him the way it does me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House