Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Go to the dollar store and get a spray can of grille paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Talk to the landlord whether they'd entertain the idea for a getting a new stove. Be honest - the stove is old, and while functional, definitely shows its age. While a full reimbursement is nice, a 50/50 split is probably all that you should expect, since the replacement is more of desire rather than necessity but that after your lease is up, they get to keep it.

With that said, Home Depot is currently offering 10% off $399 and up with free delivery ...
http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances/...atalogId=10053
Maytag 30 in. Self-Cleaning Freestanding Gas Range in Stainless Steel: WAS $699 - MGR7661WS at The Home Depot

Otherwise, peruse Craigslist for folks selling their not-too-old-white-but-I-bought-new-stainless-ones-anyways appliances. I picked up a brand new $1000 Kitchenaid dishwasher for $300 ... all because it was white ... which actually really didn't matter, since it was panel optional (my end result) too.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
How about going to the hardware store and buying a small can of black paint and a brush? could be looking like new in a jiffy.If not make a deal with the landlord,it may cost you but i'm sure some compromise can be worked out..

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,294 times
Buy yourself a new stove and replace the old one. Put the old one in the basement, or if no basement, in the garage.

When you relocate, sell the one you bought, and put the old one back in its place.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM

230 posts, read 621,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Go to the dollar store and get a spray can of grille paint.
Will definitely check it out! Thanks!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How about going to the hardware store and buying a small can of black paint and a brush? could be looking like new in a jiffy.If not make a deal with the landlord,it may cost you but i'm sure some compromise can be worked out..
That's what I'm going to do, just paint in the scratches. I'll ask around at Lowes/Home Depot and see what they can offer me. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's a crappy stove to begin with which you obviously saw before you signed the rental agreement. You can buy a new stove i'm sure the land lord wouldn't disagree with.
I didn't see the place, my partner saw it and now feels bad because he just "didn't notice the stove". Poor guy.
I'm just obsessive about stuff like that. It's like people who flick light switches and such; I like to keep everything at home looking nice.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Talk to the landlord whether they'd entertain the idea for a getting a new stove. Be honest - the stove is old, and while functional, definitely shows its age. While a full reimbursement is nice, a 50/50 split is probably all that you should expect, since the replacement is more of desire rather than necessity but that after your lease is up, they get to keep it.

With that said, Home Depot is currently offering 10% off $399 and up with free delivery ...
Amana 30 in. Freestanding Gas Range in Black - AGR4433XDB at The Home Depot
Maytag 30 in. Self-Cleaning Freestanding Gas Range in Stainless Steel: WAS $699 - MGR7661WS at The Home Depot

Otherwise, peruse Craigslist for folks selling their not-too-old-white-but-I-bought-new-stainless-ones-anyways appliances. I picked up a brand new $1000 Kitchenaid dishwasher for $300 ... all because it was white ... which actually really didn't matter, since it was panel optional (my end result) too.
Torn between painting and buying new. I think I might try painting and if that fails to appease my eyes, go for the new stove. $400 sounds like a good deal if we can work something out with our landlord. He said he's replace our dishwasher if it started acting up...so hopefully he's open to kitchen suggestions.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
Just moved into a lovely 50s bungalow in Atlanta and everything has been freshly painted and redone, except for the appliances in the kitchen. They work well so it would be a waste to ask our landlord to replace them (it's a family home that I'm the first to ever rent) but they're all about 15 years old. I could definitely live with the fridge and the dishwasher after a good scrub with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser but the stove is, to put mildly, disgusting.

It grosses me out to see all the scratches on the top part of it. Looks like someone went over it with a very scratchy brillo pad. Is there any way to replace/repaint/etc the top part of it that has the "Magic Chef" logo on it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachment 74270
Attachment 74271
One fix would be to go to a used appliance or appliance repair shop and get a new factory part. This might be expensive, the part may or may not be available, and you would probably have to hire the shop to install, but, it would cost less than a new stove.

It would be possible to clean/scuff the area with bad paint, mask off the rest of the stove and the Magic Chef logo, and then spray paint, using either black engine enamel or even VHT "header" paint. If you don't know what I am talking about, a good automotive detailer or "paintless" dent repair guy can do it.

I think one of these could be done for less than $200.

Chet's right of course, it's not your stove, so long as it works, the landlord does not "owe" you anything more than that, and it does not make any business sense for you to spend your own dough upgrading the landlord's appliances. But if you just really don't like looking at the scratched up surface, it's repairable short of replacing the range outright.

I think the landlord is going to like you a lot, if you are that particular about your "digs", you will likely keep the place clean and in good condition, not break anything. Many tenants are dirty, beat the place up, kids run wild and knock holes in walls.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Try going to Searsparts or repairclinic to see if you can find the model. They might have a replacement part that can easily be popped in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House