Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Would the MDF work well in a 1962 ranch home? We would like to replace our trim at the floor level, around the doors, install new trim around the windows and add crown molding. Nothing spectacular about our home other than the fact that we love it and would like to make improvements in the look and feel of the home.
We refinished the old "honey oak" floors that had been under carpet for 30+ years with a darker stain and replaced the old 4" plain-jane baseboards with 5 1/2" colonial MDF baseboards, replaced all the door casing with a simple colonial and added a basic crown. Works great for me. That house has never looked so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Dykes doesn't sell to the public. They only sell to lumber yards and contractors who have accounts with them.

You will less movement with MDF board plus it will be a lot more uniform then real wood but the dust can be a PIA when cutting. One thing to watch for with MDF is it will mushroom where you nail it and it can be hard to sand the mushroom area off.

busta
i don't know if we're talking about a different Dykes lumber or not, but I was at their store last night, and I assure you, i can buy there.

but thanks for the tips.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The MDF trim actually has some advantages. I was extremely nervous about putting it in the kitchen thinking that it would be exposed to dogs, toddlers, water and locusts. They have held up great in spite of some serious abuse and are not at all as sensitive to liquids as I would have imagined. The only person that sees it who knows that it isn't wood is me. A wood baseboard, particularly oak or harder, is going to highlight any bulges or imperfections in your rough framing whereas an MDF baseboard will follow the contours.

I haven't seen a lot of MDF casing but I'm sure it exists. It will have enough flex along it's stiff axis to follow imperfect old door jambs and window frames and it will not warp, expand or contract so your miter joints will stay pristine for years.

Also, that primer coat means that you put about ONE coat of paint on. Try that with raw pine stock.

Oh, one more thing: For inside corners with baseboards, try coped cuts rather than miter cuts. It's really easy with MDF stock. A dremel with the little sanding drum makes it go extremely quickly. Here's a decent walkthrough - Installing Baseboard With Coped Cuts At Inside Corners

It's a bit more time consuming but the finished product is well worth it.
unfortunately due to time constraints and travelling for work, this isn't a DIY job for me. Fortunately because I know a good carpenter, it's being done at a great rate, so no biggie. But i'll keep those tips in mind for future rooms when I do DIY. i'll be doing the painting though.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
MDF is a downgrade, in my opinion. If you've got the original wood trim on your house, by all means keep it. Sand it or do whatever you have to, but don't replace it with fake wood crap.

Locusts???!?
the amount of work to get the original wood trim looking acceptable is just too great. it looks pretty horrible right now. but, i'll look into it. if i can get it off the walls cleanly to work on it, that would be nice.

Quote:
Are you thinking of the cellular PVC? I hate that stuff too but it seems to be all the rage in exterior trim work. Everyone with a new door or in my neighborhood seems to wind up with cellular PVC brick moulding.
my dad told me absolutely do notget the pvc junk. haha

Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Floods, frogs, locusts, harvest of first born children... Biblical plague type stuff.

The MDF isn't plastic. It's basically very fine sawdust compressed with a resin and cuts like wood.

If you're going for period restoration this isn't a good option but it is a good utility stand-in that will control costs to a great extent, especially suitable if the original wood trim is in really bad shape or was just plain ugly in the first place. A lot of 40's and 50's homes had that ultra-plain, minimalist stuff that really doesn't look good even when restored.
the original trim looks fine when it's stained, but the upstairs is all white trim, and my wife likes it. so it's staying, i'm not changing it downstairs. the stain on the wood trim, although simple trim, looks great. the previous owners (or someone at some time) added nice crowns also nicely stained. upstairs it looks like the trim has been painted 10+ times, so there is caked layers of paint, and it just doesn't look good at all.

we'd be looking at paint scrapers, sanding, etc etc. all to just paint very basic trim white again. with new trim, i get to add a bit of detail to it, and make it look nice with a simple coat of paint...i could just do crown and casings, but i think if i'm starting i might as well do the baseboard too.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Is your carpenter certified by the EPA to work in your house? Recently enacted rules regarding lead paint require anyone disturbing painted surfaces in any home built prior to 1978 to follow strict safety guidelines to avoid getting lead dust into the air. Especially in a nursery, I wouldn't cut corners in that regard.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Dykes doesn't sell to the public. They only sell to lumber yards and contractors who have accounts with them.

busta
Dykes absolutely sells to the public. I've bought a lot a moldings there. I prefer the poplar for crowns.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
First, avoid MDF as it is expands and contracts in with the change of seasons, and second, Dykes does sell to the public and they are a great source of wood mouldings and trim. If you are painting the moulding, I strongly suggest poplar as it is more durable particularly for chair-rails and baseboards and it paints up very well.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Is your carpenter certified by the EPA to work in your house? Recently enacted rules regarding lead paint require anyone disturbing painted surfaces in any home built prior to 1978 to follow strict safety guidelines to avoid getting lead dust into the air. Especially in a nursery, I wouldn't cut corners in that regard.
i'll ask. he's been constantly saying how important it is to clean up every single piece of dust and any chip that results in disturbing anything in the room that's been painted. so i'm comfortable seeing his concern. he's mentioned numerous times that "especially since it's going to be a nursery"

Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenCarp View Post
First, avoid MDF as it is expands and contracts in with the change of seasons, and second, Dykes does sell to the public and they are a great source of wood mouldings and trim. If you are painting the moulding, I strongly suggest poplar as it is more durable particularly for chair-rails and baseboards and it paints up very well.
i thought i've been reading and have been told that MDF does NOT expand, but that regular wood does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House