Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i thought i've been reading and have been told that MDF does NOT expand, but that regular wood does...
It will expand and contract with the seasons - slightly.

In the winter you might see a hairline joint mid wall if you have to use more than one piece for a long span. MDF comes in 16 footers though.

In the summer that crack will disappear.

It won't warp and expand like real wood though.

Also depends how you put it together. Don't use butt-joints going across a wall expanse - use spliced joints, glued together, and nailed (drilled first) at an angle that will catch both ends. The best option - one piece from corner to corner. Use coped joints in the corner, unless your walls a perfected square and your saw is in perfect alignment.

For finishing/nail holes - any water based material will "raise" the MDF and cause a dimpling effect on the material. Don't want that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
i thought i've been reading and have been told that MDF does NOT expand, but that regular wood does...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It will expand and contract with the seasons - slightly.

In the winter you might see a hairline joint mid wall if you have to use more than one piece for a long span. MDF comes in 16 footers though.

In the summer that crack will disappear.

It won't warp and expand like real wood though.

Also depends how you put it together. Don't use butt-joints going across a wall expanse - use spliced joints, glued together, and nailed (drilled first) at an angle that will catch both ends. The best option - one piece from corner to corner. Use coped joints in the corner, unless your walls a perfected square and your saw is in perfect alignment.

For finishing/nail holes - any water based material will "raise" the MDF and cause a dimpling effect on the material. Don't want that to happen.
It may very well be the case that MDF expands "slightly", but I can't tell. I can tell with my oak floors, my pine door casing, my old heartwood joists, rafters and studs and the legs on my dining room table seem to go from tight to a loose between winter and summer. Haven't had to re-caulk or re-putty any MDF baseboard joints, FWIW.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
so it's that wood warps, and MDF doesn't. sounds like everything expands and contracts slightly...except maybe the PVC/Vinyle which i've been told to avoid completely.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
so it's that wood warps, and MDF doesn't. sounds like everything expands and contracts slightly...except maybe the PVC/Vinyle which i've been told to avoid completely.
My house is filled with crown/trim/door headers of MDF, but also with wood trim too. Like I said, might find a hairline joint in some of the crown in winter, but I imagine if I kept the house "even" all year, you wouldn't.

Best stuff for painting and working with, imho.

If you can, purchase long lengths to avoid having to splice with a given wall.

If you can't avoid that, DON'T use a butt joint to piece them together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House