Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

172 posts, read 557,534 times

Advertisements

There is an ongoing argument in our home. We will probably be leaving Las Vegas summer 2012 to yet another AFB. I would like to buy new carpet throughout the home (its the original carpet - 7 years old) because I think it will help in selling/renting the house. My husband thinks that we should just get it cleaned really well and invest on some more appealing front yard landscaping. He feels that curb appeal is more important.

Assuming we will only do one of the two, what do you all think?

If anyone says go with the carpet, then do you have any recommendations for carpet installers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM

25 posts, read 36,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
There is an ongoing argument in our home. We will probably be leaving Las Vegas summer 2012 to yet another AFB. I would like to buy new carpet throughout the home (its the original carpet - 7 years old) because I think it will help in selling/renting the house. My husband thinks that we should just get it cleaned really well and invest on some more appealing front yard landscaping. He feels that curb appeal is more important.

Assuming we will only do one of the two, what do you all think?

If anyone says go with the carpet, then do you have any recommendations for carpet installers?
Do not buy carpet. It is outdated and makes your home value go down! Fix the outside, clear the kitchen and make the house look as clean as possible! Good luck with your move.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM

56 posts, read 118,591 times
Not everyone likes carpet in the house but I believe everyone likes a nice front yard. Having spent many hours looking at potential homes to buy, I believe a nice front yard will help you more than new carpet will.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM

172 posts, read 557,534 times
Wow. I must say that i am surprised LOL THanks guys!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,755,610 times
That is a hard question. It certainly doesn't increase the value but brand new carpet will make the house more attractive to buyers then old worn carpet, even if they really wanted wood. if your old carpet is any color except sandy beige or off white that will be even more of a turn off. When it's new cheap plush carpet looks as good as more expensive stuff so it doesn't have to cost more than a couple of thousand dollars. Make sure someone with a good eye for color double checks the choice. You want sandy (golden) beige without a hint of pink in it. Many people make that mistake.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:40 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,060,567 times
I think replacing the carpet will help your home sell quicker, but may not help the value since people may want different types or colors of flooring.

If it was me if you're selling I'd offer up a $2,000 flooring allowance or something along those lines.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,287,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I think replacing the carpet will help your home sell quicker, but may not help the value since people may want different types or colors of flooring.

If it was me if you're selling I'd offer up a $2,000 flooring allowance or something along those lines.
I'd do that, and do some economical but effective ways to spiff up the curb appeal, as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,928,934 times
I would not replace the carpet unless it is shabby and unsightly or an unusual color. If it is marginal, it might be a good idea to offer a flooring allowance. If you do replace the carpet, go with a very neutral color, as strong colors are bound to turn off some buyers.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:34 PM

22,363 posts, read 47,354,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I would not replace the carpet unless it is shabby and unsightly or an unusual color. If it is marginal, it might be a good idea to offer a flooring allowance.
Pretty much what I was going to say!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,456,185 times
I would ask a couple realtors what THEY would suggest for your area and the condition of your carpet and landscaping. When we had our house for sale, we were considering taking the carpet up and putting in hardwood, but our realtor suggested using the money to fence the back yard instead. He knew what he was talking about, because we got a contract 4 days after the fence was completed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House