Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times

Advertisements

Cant find an answeras to whether these work or not. Looking for opinions and options. Any experience or knowledge of these, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I believe these are bogus.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Depends on what you want them to do. While the common thought is that they do nothing, they can have some strange effects. I've seen a magnet used on a chiller tower, (used for major HVAC installations to rapidly cool refrigerant in a relatively small package) and that water did not lime up the piping and reservoir the way that an untreated tower looked. For household use, I have no idea if there would be a noticable effect.

Magnetism is STILL not understood. In a recent story in Scientific American or Discover, one contributor pointed out that he had attempted to find a definitive explanation for the properties of magnets, and after going through dozens of resources had come up empty handed. We are still at the stage of having to report the results of various tests, rather than being able to provide any valid comprehensive set of predictive rules for the effects. That isn't to say there aren't some brilliant uses, like MRIs and maglevs and even electricity generation, but that deep down it is still a magical force, as any kid who has his first experience with one will tell you.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Hold on to your wallet........

These good olde boys last job was probably selling snake oil.

There are applications where magnetic types of water treatment seem to work. But probably not in once thru systems or at anything close to the consumer level.

These good olde boys know how to twist words. There have been tests where a chemical method was used as the baseline data reference and those results were compared to the "Effects" gotten by using some fancy magnetic whatever. The fun begins when they then have to prove the Effects.

The basic problem is most of the claims revolve around "Neutralizing the effects of the offending ions". They are not actually removed from the water like with most chemical systems. No such system has ever been demostrated to be effective AFAIK in something like your typical household water supply system or in just about any other once through type flow system.

There are some applications in a recirculating mode like boiler water treatment that apparently do work. I saw one very interesting system. Apparently the effect is limited in scale, maybe something as big as your typical packaged boiler. There are ranges on parameters that must be met. The water passes thru a treatment chamber many times. Uses the Earth's magnetic field. Would even descale a really badly gunked up boiler depending on the characteristics of how it got that way. The feedwater got tons of ions in it, you could never drink it, more like an ionic soup. Complicated but it does make a very nice war story.

There is also something known as paramagnetic and that type of principle is used in some applications. Like monitoring equipment to measure something. Oxygen is one of the things that is paramagnetic in properties. Very narrowly defined and applied but there are applications that work.

But if some olde boy claims to have invented the better mousetrap and it just happens to have a few magnets in it; and if he is talking about water and then that four letter word PURE, head for the hills and hope your wallet has enough good sense to follow after you.

If I can invent a method to give you PURE water, cost under $100 and look good on TV, I could be a very, very rich man. Ok, so you will settle for this sports bottled pure spring water, I just happen to have an extra 50 cases on hand this morning. It will even regrow hair on your behind in a topical fashion.

Just understand by definition PURE WATER is probably deionized water (if you really want to be technical) and it will kill you if you manage to drink very much of it.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Get your water tested by a water-testing lab (not a treatment system installer) and have a standard filter for rust and dirt, ion-exchange for calcium hardness or an oxidizing treatment system for ferric iron installed depending on the results of the analysis.

The only thing magnets can possibly remove is suspended magnetic (hematite) iron particles. They can also transfer a lot of money from the buyer to the seller. Don’t be this buyer.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I looked into this a great deal about ten years ago. What I found was that the home systems are bogus. There was one system that seemed to work in a government test, but it was the size of a large house.
The clamp on magnets
are a scam

Old 01-22-2015, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
I have just read your post and agree with you the so called "black magic" that is the magnetic water conditioner seems like it could be made up although the term softener is completely misused as it does not add/remove anything from the water, whereas it physically moves ions towards each other within the device. This has been proven with the use of an electron microscope. The main goal of the magnetic water conditioner is to form scale within the device itself, due to the laziness of nature it is easier to form a crystal on an already existing surface. This also means that the process is not permanent but it will reduce the scale formation within pipework and heat generation devices. This does not mean that it will stop your taps from scaling due to the fact that it is an evaporative surface and the minerals still exist in the water. I hope this helps, if you want to read more click here ... [url=http://thewaterways.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/water-conditioners-explained.html]The Water Ways: Water Conditioners Explained[/url]

Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterways1 View Post
I have just read your post and agree with you the so called "black magic" that is the magnetic water conditioner seems like it could be made up although the term softener is completely misused as it does not add/remove anything from the water, whereas it physically moves ions towards each other within the device. This has been proven with the use of an electron microscope. The main goal of the magnetic water conditioner is to form scale within the device itself, due to the laziness of nature it is easier to form a crystal on an already existing surface. This also means that the process is not permanent but it will reduce the scale formation within pipework and heat generation devices. This does not mean that it will stop your taps from scaling due to the fact that it is an evaporative surface and the minerals still exist in the water. I hope this helps, if you want to read more click here ... The Water Ways: Water Conditioners Explained
It can do that, at least they think it does, but not with clamp on magnets. You need a whole treatment facility not a couple of little magnets on some pipes. This is a scam. They take some real science from university and other large scale experiments and then claim their little magnets do the same thing as a huge treatment facility with huge highly powerful magnets. The little magnets do nothing but line the sellers' pockets. The marketing is self perpetuating because people who spend hundreds of dollars for magnets do not want to accept they were rooked, so the convince themselves the water is softer and their dishes are cleaner. They then promote the concept to their friends, who get fooled by this and buy expensive magnets, convince themselves they did not just throw a bunch of money away and it goes on and on. IN reality those little magnets do nothing at all.

Your house is not big enough to contain a magnetic system that will actually change the water.

And no. just because you see something on the internet someplace does not make it true. Not even if they use really sciency sounding terms or quote from real articles discussing something altogether different. Do some in depth research and you will find a house sized system does not and cannto work and a full sized system costs too much to be practical.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
The OP is from 7 years ago....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House