Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 AM

136 posts, read 589,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I've seen some where the end unit had no neighbors on one side (benefit), but had something else - such as a community carwash center (possible negative). So I'd want to be sure I knew what will/does fill that space.
I agree with all of the other posters with the end units having more privacy and windows. I don't live in a townhome but have looked around at several. As far as the neighborhood pool or carwash as the poster mentioned being close by that was a very good idea never thought about that. One thing that I did notice with a few of the end unit townhomes was that they had a spigot on the side of the townhome exposed to everyone. Only the patio's were enclosed.

My concern was that passers or persons from the community would use the sigot when they felt like it since it was exposed. Then I would get stuck with the high water bill. Maybe I am paranoid but never put anything past anybody people are very inconsiderate these days. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 AM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
End units are usually quieter because there are no walls on the other side. A lot of people like it

Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
There are only two pro's to middle units that I can think of. If you live in a colder climate, living between two heated units will mean lower heating prices than living in an end unit, same for AC. Also end units tend to get burglarized more often than middle units. Despite this I would always prefer an end unit. We just left one 6 months ago and now live in a SFH. I liked having our bedroom on the "end side", no noises thorugh the walls from loud neighbors when I was sleeping and more privacy, also a bigger yard!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
As stated above, end units have more windows, are only attached to one neighbor instead of two, are usually a little larger than the other units, have more yard space, and tend to sell for a little more. In my experience they are definitely more desireable. The only downside is that the open land at the end is generally considered open space for the community, so often people will walk their dogs there. If you are in a good complex, it won't be a problem, but if you aren't, then it might be nasty. Just walk the grounds and make sure they are clean.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I don't mean to take your post off topic, but have you considered buying a twin home? I currently live in one. I think the main difference between a twin home and a town home is that there is no HOA with a twin home....well, at least there isn't with mine. I have a common front yard (grassy area)with one neighbor and my own private back yard. My other neighbor is my "common wall" neighbor. Our driveways are very close and are only separated by a small strip of grass.

My concerns have been street noise and barking dogs. The closer in proximity you live to someone, the more you'll be in each other's business. Which can be a good thing if you having respectful, friendly neighbors. I also live on a cul-de-sac so we're all really close together....we watch out for each other and tend to be more social within our community.

I hope you find a great home wherever you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House