Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,243 times

Advertisements

The thing I don't like about CFL's is I've had some that burned out and when they did it sounded like bacon frying and I didn't know what the heck was going on. And there was an odor like a flourescent ballast when they burn out. I thought it was the light socket. Nope. Just the CFL bulb.
I've went back to the incandescent bulbs. I don't like a bulb that sizzles when it burns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,460,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Here is a good article. CFL Fluorescent Light Bulbs: More Hype Than Value

Not sure how scientific or true all of it is, but it's a good read. It also talks about decreasing lumens in CFL's. Also, I didn't know they even made incandescent bulbs that can last 25,000 hours/ten years.
We bought some incandescents at our previous house and 7 years later of daily use (master bath vanity lights) they were still going strong. I should have brought those with me when I moved! haha

They were very heavy too, I remember that part distinctly when I bought them. I might swing in Lowe's today and see if they still carry any like them.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I haven't bought any yet and I won't until I have to. I'm just not comfortable with having mercury encased in thin glass hanging in my home. Given a choice I would much prefer paying a slightly higher electric bill.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM

6,760 posts, read 9,327,743 times
I refuse to buy them. I've started to stock up on the incandescents.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
The thing I don't like about CFL's is I've had some that burned out and when they did it sounded like bacon frying and I didn't know what the heck was going on. And there was an odor like a flourescent ballast when they burn out. I thought it was the light socket. Nope. Just the CFL bulb.
I've went back to the incandescent bulbs. I don't like a bulb that sizzles when it burns out.
I had one burn out once and it got so hot that the plastic base started turning black. I smelled a strong burning smell first, then had to track down where it was coming from, I thought my house was on fire.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,977,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
they are 59 cents each at the 99 cents only Stores.
California subsidized price, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My only gripe is that I can only seem to find a 40W equivalent bulb and nothing higher...unless I go into the "spotlight" style...and those are only 65W equivalent. Not enough light if I only get one light in the room.
20w (75w equivalent) and 23w (100w equivalent) spiral CFLs are common here. Heck, I even have some 42w (150w equivalent) CFLs, although to be honest, they aren't all that compact. Bought that box of 12 (all new) at a Veteran's thrift store for $3.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,757,090 times
I hate them. I've had to replace a bunch of them, well under the time they were suppose to last. I hate the waiting for them warm up. I have recessed lighting in a hallway and replaced the old spots with new CFL spots. One lasted about 3 months. The other is still working but, it takes so long to warm up, that I've already gone down the hall in the dark. The one that burned out, I replaced with the old kind of bulb, or it would be really dark. I've had them in other lights around the house and most all of them always burn out well less than their suggested life. So, I'm just going back to the old kind, and will stockpile them so, I have them as long as possible.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Actually, they are sitting in a bag, ready for me to take them to Lowe's to be put in their CFL recycle bin. I am in the middle of transitioning back to incandescents until the price of LED's come down. Recently, after having to replace several CFL's that were less than 3 years old and got fed up at older CFL's putting out less and less light (lumens) each time they run, I decided to go back to the old style. Isn't one of the issues of CFL's, that they put out less light with each use? I am sick of the warmup and even the shape of them. As for energy savings, from what I keep reading on the internet, I am not so sure CFL's have the big, huge energy savings that they claim. Anyway, I am not going to stockpile the incandescent bulbs, rather I am just biding my time until LED's come down and are perfected. I am not going to pay $20-$100 for ONE LED bulb.

The CFL...good idea...in THEORY.
you may be buying the cheaper brands. i've never had any trouble except the cheap ones. one burnt out in 3 months. the good brands i've had for 3.5 years and ticking...energy savings are significant and noticeable in my bill.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I haven't bought any yet and I won't until I have to. I'm just not comfortable with having mercury encased in thin glass hanging in my home. Given a choice I would much prefer paying a slightly higher electric bill.
you have more mercury in some of the food you probably eat.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,977,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you may be buying the cheaper brands. i've never had any trouble except the cheap ones. one burnt out in 3 months. the good brands i've had for 3.5 years and ticking...energy savings are significant and noticeable in my bill.
These days, spending more on name brands may not mean anything when they're made in the same overseas factories as the cheaper brands.

Some of the worst life spans we've had were from Lights of America lamps, which were made in the USA. As for longevity ... my folks still have some Ikea bulbs that were put to use over 10 years ago. IIRC, they were made in Hungary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House