Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 AM

201 posts, read 470,087 times

Advertisements

That neighbor who happens to be a Real Estate agent, has a secret telephone number. How does he do business. Just more half truths from the op. My advice to the op would be to find some volunteer work to occupy some of her time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The permit issue is not a big deal. It happens all the time and in most jurisdictions he'll be issued an after the fact approval if it meets the overriding code for fences.
It's a double fine in this town to modify a fence without a permit in advance. And it doesn't happen all the time in this town.

Quote:
I'm confused and have been throughout this, when you say "common" in most places it means co-owned. If that's the case you do have standing to challenge it. But, you may then have to share the cost of the construction.
Here it is different. I don't know (nor does the city) just whose land it sits on or if it's exactly on the property line and co-owned, to use your verbiage. If it is co-owned he needed my signature to make any changes and the city even gave me the form he would have had to complete. As to sharing the construction, it was his tree that ruined the fence so why would I have to share in the cost? He should have done his due diligence with the former owner and negotiated fixing the fence with HER before even buying the property. When I had a tree that was causing a problem I had to pay for it myself to keep the neighbor happy. I did what he asked I do before selling. Oh, and I had another neighbor who had a problem with my tree and offered to pay to take some limbs down. I told her no, that I'd pay for it, as it was my tree. So see, I really can be pretty reasonable about things when dealt with fairly by decent people.

Quote:
If it's just a fence enclosed by his property then you're most likely out of gas.
No, I'm really not. If I call code enforcement he will be fined.

Quote:
This is similar to your earlier thread about his additions/new construction. If he was within the overriding codes and setbacks you have no basis for a complaint that's actionable. Although I'm somewhat surprised that an area with lots that size have such close setbacks.
With respect to the addition you are correct as a permit was issued for that. With respect to the fence he screwed up.

This whole thing is very unpleasant and I see either mediation in my future or if he cuts down my bush small claims court. To add insult to injury, he acts like he is doing me a favor through all of this. Yeah, I just love constant construction, cars and trucks all day long in front of my house and the noise. Oh, and now that I've caught him in the act of lying (in black and white) I can look forward to a liar moving in next door.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 02-26-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
That neighbor who happens to be a Real Estate agent, has a secret telephone number. How does he do business. Just more half truths from the op. My advice to the op would be to find some volunteer work to occupy some of her time.
The OP has two volunteer jobs, one of which I've been doing for three years and the other for over a year. Once again, more assumptions being made that are just false.

How many do you have? Oh, and btw, he does not use his last name on his emails.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM

And, once again, I do not understand this animosity against me. I am a considerate neighbor, take my neighbor's feelings into account, go through the proper channels, and pay for things even when I don't have to.

I just want some peace and quiet and to deal with a new neighbor who is respectful and not a liar. But I guess that is asking too much.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
And, once again, I do not understand this animosity against me. I am a considerate neighbor, take my neighbor's feelings into account, go through the proper channels, and pay for things even when I don't have to.

I just want some peace and quiet and to deal with a new neighbor who is respectful and not a liar. But I guess that is asking too much.
Yes....it is to much to ask when you post your business on the internet.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes....it is to much to ask when you post your business on the internet.
Gee, what a shocker that people post "their stuff" on an Internet forum. Hop over to the relationships section and you'll really get a good glimpse into people posting their stuff, and not even always PG!

Or go over to the health section and read about people's medical issues.

Then there are those who just like to post insults to other posters on forums without revealing anything about themselves. Ahem.

You know what? I started this thread looking for advice and it's basically turned into a "Misty you're a piece of poo" deal, so I guess I will just stop it here.

Not all posters have been that way, but far too many have been without offering any sort of useful input as to resolving the issue at all - and that includes you.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 02-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: add thought

Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Gee, what a shocker that people post "their stuff" on an Internet forum. Hop over to the relationships section and you'll really get a good glimpse into people posting their stuff, and not even always PG!

Or go over to the health section and read about people's medical issues.

Then there are those who just like to post insults to other posters on forums without revealing anything about themselves. Ahem.

You know what? I started this thread looking for advice and it's basically turned into a "Misty you're a piece of poo" deal, so I guess I will just stop it here.

Not all posters have been that way, but far too many have been without offering any sort of useful input as to resolving the issue at all - and that includes you.
I think that's a bit harsh and I wouldn't say that, however I do understand why your neighbor wants a higher fence. I would to if I were him.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
OMFG

I thought you said you were done with this thread about 8 pages back?

Talk about mountains and mole hills.....

Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Many people have posted useful things to you. You just don't want to hear what we are saying.

You have a legal problem. You have a neighbor who is acting as if he owns this wall but you believe that you own the wall. That is the crux of the issue. If he owns it he can do what he pleases. If you co-own the wall you do have the legal ability to stop him. But it will cost you money because you will need to hire a lawyer and possibly pay for a survey.

You are the one with the problem. He doesn't care what you think. He may be trampling on your legal rights. You need to take action to stop him. Permits are just money. They will only delay his actions and cost him money. They will not stop the construction.

That is good, solid advice. I am not dumping on you but you seem to think that disputes will be solved by sending emails. They won't. You need to take legal action to preserve your rights but you are to cheap to do so.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
Quote:
I guess I will just stop it here.

Yipeeeeeeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You just don't want to hear what we are saying.
There's a lot of truth in this statement.

Actually, I think that she may have heard it, but she's chosen to ignore it. It indicates that a bigger issue may be at play.

If she took proper action to address the issues she wouldn't have any reason to complain and find other people to listen to her. She may not like the construction with its associated issues, but what she really wants is for someone to listen to her - no matter what the issue happens to be. The construction is just the vehicle to get attention. It fills a need that she has.

I will bet dollars to doughnuts that if people stop listening (ie. responding) to her repeated construction compaints that she refuses to solve, the discussion will morph into her "perceived" and "unsubstantiated" fears related to her dogs. She's already set the stage. Her hope would be that it would keep people listening to her, keep her in center stage, and provide a new vehicle for the attention she's truely seeking.

At least that's what appears to be happening here, but that's just my opinion. It's certainly not fact.

Last edited by garth; 02-26-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House