Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,008,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Anyone eles see a pattern here???
Yeah, a pattern of jerks. You might not realize this, but most people are only "in it" for their own self interests.

I have mentioned before in this thread that I consulted with my neighbors regarding a prospective color change for my house. I cared how they felt. And I am smart enough to know you do not go changing common wall fences without talking to your neighbors and getting their blessing. I mean, forget the law (which there is), but it's common sense.

This guy is a steamroller who cannot even comply with city code, OTOH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM

22,619 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Plus, I don't want my dogs poisoned (it does happen).
So now you think he will poison your dogs???

Quote:
This is the third house I've owned with neighbors like this. I don't like being in this spot again, but I've been there before and gone so far as to involve the police, who sided with ME.
Why am I not surprised?
Ever consider it's not the neighbors?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So now you think he will poison your dogs???
I consider everything.

Quote:
Why am I not surprised?
Ever consider it's not the neighbors?
Let's see - throwing cigarette butts over my wall. No.

Dragging their trash onto my yard on trash day. No. Parking their crap vehicles in front of my house instead of the front of their own? No. (And the cops set them straight on this one). No.

Google on neighbors from hell and see for yourself I am not the only one who deals with this.

Violating code and lying to me about it? No.

What I'd really like to know is why those of you in this thread are against me and not the perpetrators of this bad behavior? Is it just easy to do on the Internets?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times
Quote:
What I'd really like to know is why those of you in this thread are against me and not the perpetrators of this bad behavior? Is it just easy to do on the Internets?
I am just not convinced that the wall you are describing is a common wall. If it was a common wall there would be some indication of it in your closing papers and you would not need a survey. If it was a common wall there likely would be an HOA.

If the wall truly is a common wall why don't you call AN ATTORNEY to help you settle a legal dispute? If it truly is common it isn't a big deal to fix it.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am just not convinced that the wall you are describing is a common wall. If it was a common wall there would be some indication of it in your closing papers and you would not need a survey. If it was a common wall there likely would be an HOA.

If the wall truly is a common wall why don't you call AN ATTORNEY to help you settle a legal dispute? If it truly is common it isn't a big deal to fix it.
Look, I went to the City today and the City couldn't tell me if it was common. Whether it is or not, he failed to get a permit which comes with fines.

I am not about to spend my money on an attorney when he is clearly just a jerk and in the wrong. I'll go to small claims, sure, but I won't throw out good money over this. And there IS no HOA where I live.

And right now I care more about the bush than the wall anyway. I can always push the wall issue later, but once and if that bush goes, it's gone and I simply will not put up with that.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Look, I went to the City today and the City couldn't tell me if it was common. Whether it is or not, he failed to get a permit which comes with fines.

I am not about to spend my money on an attorney when he is clearly just a jerk and in the wrong. I'll go to small claims, sure, but I won't throw out good money over this. And there IS no HOA where I live.

And right now I care more about the bush than the wall anyway. I can always push the wall issue later, but once and if that bush goes, it's gone and I simply will not put up with that.
You don't understand that if the wall really is common then he can't just do whatever he wants. That's the issue you should care about the most. If he owns the wall you have no standing.

Right now he claims he owns the wall and you claim that it is common. You have a legal problem. Legal problems are best solved using legal professionals. This problem will not solve itself by you calling the city. All that will do is cost him money by making him pay for permits. It won't solve your problem

How did you buy a house without getting a survey? Your attorney was seriously deficient.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You don't understand that if the wall really is common then he can't just do whatever he wants. That's the issue you should care about the most. If he owns the wall you have no standing.
I understand completely. I was told by the city today that even if it IS his wall, he still needs a permit and he did not get this.

Quote:
Right now he claims he owns the wall and you claim that it is common. You have a legal problem. Legal problems are best solved using legal professionals. This problem will not solve itself by you calling the city. All that will do is cost him money by making him pay for permits. It won't solve your problem

How did you buy a house without getting a survey? Your attorney was seriously deficient.
He claims no such thing. He has said nothing of this at all. I imagine it's common but for all I know it could be completely MY wall. As I said, the city is giving me this information. I don't have to pay to get it.

Buying my house without a survey was never an issue. Maybe in your state it is. I made no changes to it and I just bought it. I did not need an atty to buy this house. I had a real estate agent. I've never had any problem in the eight years I've lived here until now. The neighbors kept to themselves and we all just got along. Plus, I took out a very small loan and paid the house off six months after I bought it, so it's mine and no need to involve anyone else.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM

45,484 posts, read 60,707,289 times
The permit issue is not a big deal. It happens all the time and in most jurisdictions he'll be issued an after the fact approval if it meets the overriding code for fences.

I'm confused and have been throughout this, when you say "common" in most places it means co-owned. If that's the case you do have standing to challenge it. But, you may then have to share the cost of the construction.

If it's just a fence enclosed by his property then you're most likely out of gas.

This is similar to your earlier thread about his additions/new construction. If he was within the overriding codes and setbacks you have no basis for a complaint that's actionable. Although I'm somewhat surprised that an area with lots that size have such close setbacks.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
The OP isn't to worried about her pets.

Read though here she was trying to re home them. (dogs too)

BYW, the workers lost any amount of taking her serious when she would not pick up a dead mouse.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...rson-what.html

Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I understand completely. I was told by the city today that even if it IS his wall, he still needs a permit and he did not get this.
But permits are not a big deal. He'll pay his money and get his permits as the city requests. Not having permits won't stop him from building.

Quote:
He claims no such thing. He has said nothing of this at all. I imagine it's common but for all I know it could be completely MY wall. As I said, the city is giving me this information. I don't have to pay to get it.
It doesn't matter what you imagine. By building on the wall he is claiming he has ownership of the wall. He doesn't have to say it to your explicitly. As for paying, an attorney would be able to help you quickly determine what your options are.

Quote:
Buying my house without a survey was never an issue. Maybe in your state it is.
I have never had a bank issue me a mortgage without requiring a survey. I have owned property in three different states. The state doesn't require the survey but the bank usually does.

Quote:
I made no changes to it and I just bought it. I did not need an atty to buy this house. I had a real estate agent. I've never had any problem in the eight years I've lived here until now. The neighbors kept to themselves and we all just got along. Plus, I took out a very small loan and paid the house off six months after I bought it, so it's mine and no need to involve anyone else.
A real estate agent is not an attorney. A real estate agent makes sure you sign the papers you need to sign to buy property. An attorney makes sure your legal rights are preserved. Big difference and well worth the money spent, especially when you have the type of dispute you are having right now. I recommend that everyone use an attorney when purchasing real estate.

You do you need to involve someone else because you do not know what the law is. You have no idea what your neighbor is allowed to do or not. Permits are not the issue. He can get the permits simply by paying money for them.

If your objective is to stop him from building your only hope is to prove that he does not have the right to build on the wall. Forcing his hand on permits will not stop that. The city will issue the permits, he will pay for them but he will still build. So if your objective is to be a PITA keep pushing on the permits. But if your objective is to keep him from building on the wall you need to prove ownership of the wall. You will probably need an attorney or a survey (or both for that).

Remember he is the one building and you are the one wanting to stop him. By refusing to pay a dollar you are doing nothing to advance your cause. Pushing permits on him makes him pay but doesn't stop him from building.

So what is your objective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House