Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,182,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I assume you meant "relevant." And what is wrong with starting a new thread?!

Which is exactly what happened in this thread. Yes, let's give advice to someone who posted 6 years ago.

Gee, I never noticed that. Seriously, OF COURSE I've noticed that, and of course what I have also noticed is that new (usually new) posters will simply add on to old threads when they have their own question (which is sometimes related, sometimes not). Or they will give advice to someone who hasn't been online at CD in 5 years.

I wish that CD would instead tell newbies, "The 'new thread' button is your friend." I suspect I am not the only one.
Well, if the way CD is run is not to your taste, you could always start your own forum that would, no doubt, be run perfectly.

I wish the people who for some reason get their panties in a twist over resurrected threads when it is the forum policy that it is allowed and encouraged and thus are a major source of thread disruption would just get over themselves, frankly.

As for not being the only one, doesn't that fall into the "But, Moooooom, EVERYBODY's doing it!" school of behavior justification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hahaha... and so it goes.

Now bandwidth is being wasted by debating who is wasting bandwidth!
And by accusations of thread police....

all of which would have been avoided if the poster did NOT resurrect an ancient post and started a new one instead.

Oh the irony!
Or, it would have been avoided if someone hadn't decided to be thread nanny because a poster didn't post in exactly the precise way that they themselves prefer (in which case the poster would have been jumped on by someone else telling them they shouldn't have started a new thread, they should have searched for old threads on the same topic).

Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM

22,253 posts, read 47,182,535 times
Oh, now a thread nanny!
How does that differ from thread police?

Karen is wearing all kinds of hats now!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,956,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, if the way CD is run is not to your taste, you could always start your own forum that would, no doubt, be run perfectly.

I wish the people who for some reason get their panties in a twist over resurrected threads when it is the forum policy that it is allowed and encouraged and thus are a major source of thread disruption would just get over themselves, frankly.

As for not being the only one, doesn't that fall into the "But, Moooooom, EVERYBODY's doing it!" school of behavior justification?

Or, it would have been avoided if someone hadn't decided to be thread nanny because a poster didn't post in exactly the precise way that they themselves prefer (in which case the poster would have been jumped on by someone else telling them they shouldn't have started a new thread, they should have searched for old threads on the same topic).
This ^^^^. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:48 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Thread Closed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House