Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

Just need y'all's opinion since I can't quite seem to make a decision. When we built the house, we opted not to get a kitchen island. That was a mistake. Now we're thinking about getting a stationary island. Those pre-fab ones look nice, but none of them seem to fit our needs (over 60" in depth and 34 in width) except for one. The kicker is it only comes in two finishes - black with cherry top or white with cherry top. Our cabinets are maple/cherry and the countertop is a dark hunter green. Appliances are black. Floor is beech-type. Would it look bad to introduce the black island with cherry countertop? The island is priced well and we really don't want to deal with the waiting time and much higher price of a custom made one. Thanks in advance for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I think the decision is pretty easy-

Spend less money get less than ideal results.
Or, spend more money and get the results that match or complement the existing.

Remember, YOU have to live with it. So, as the old saying goes- "Looks good from my house!"

Old 06-26-2013, 05:39 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
When we built the house, we opted not to get a kitchen island.
Now we're thinking about getting a stationary island.
Those pre-fab ones look nice, but none of them seem to fit our needs...
What needs? Focus on what will fit the ROOM.
As to color... if you can't match then contrast.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I think it would look just fine. Even in the high end custom homes that are $1M+ in our area, often the island is a different finish or color than the rest of the cabinets. In my own kitchen, that is also the case and it looks great.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hello there,

Just need y'all's opinion since I can't quite seem to make a decision. When we built the house, we opted not to get a kitchen island. That was a mistake. Now we're thinking about getting a stationary island. Those pre-fab ones look nice, but none of them seem to fit our needs (over 60" in depth and 34 in width) except for one. The kicker is it only comes in two finishes - black with cherry top or white with cherry top. Our cabinets are maple/cherry and the countertop is a dark hunter green. Appliances are black. Floor is beech-type. Would it look bad to introduce the black island with cherry countertop? The island is priced well and we really don't want to deal with the waiting time and much higher price of a custom made one. Thanks in advance for the response.
Well lets first ask what is cherry to you. You said you have a cherry top. Cherry is a wood species, not a color. You can finish maple or oak with cherry stain too and achieve the same result......almost.

Skip that for now. Your best bet since your home is newer is to find out who the manufacturer of your cabinets are then contact the local dealer who sells that brand. They will be able to design for you anything your little heart desires. Forget that custom made crap. In your (and mine) home state, that word "custom" has a different meaning then anywhere else. Go with the manufacturer's product that is already in your house.

Why worry about wait time? Nearly any cabinet manufacturer can have your cabinets in 1 to 3 weeks. If you have some clown make them in your driveway which is customary in Texas, that too will take a week or more and the result will be a hunk of junk with no warranty. If you order something from a catalog as you speak of, that too will take a week or more to get in the mail plus gobs and gobs of money for shipping.

Do not be afraid to use a different color on the island as your kitchen cabs are. It is very "in" right now. Some people even use a different door style but as a Designer I personally frown upon that. In the end, by going with the brand cabinet already in your kitchen you have many more options, the best one being that you can match the door/color exactly.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
We just did this. Got the top from Butcher Block Co - Boos Blocks, Countertops, Tables, Islands, Cutting Boards . They have pre made sizes and will do custom. This is cherry species end grain Boos block with just oil.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
We just did this. Got the top from Butcher Block Co - Boos Blocks, Countertops, Tables, Islands, Cutting Boards . They have pre made sizes and will do custom. This is cherry species end grain Boos block with just oil.

Not a bad idea. Just get a white island with a butcher block or neutral counter top. Maybe ask a local cabinet place if they can make you a custom size. You can ask them to make the specs to your budget.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Hey guys, thanks so much for the suggestions! I've decided to follow desertsun's suggestion about using cabinets and then putting a top on vs. the prefab stuff. We're gonna go with unfinished cabinets and stain them..my cabinet ended up being discontinued (it's been 8 years after all). And I'll get the island size that I need -- 5' x 4'.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House