Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM

792 posts, read 4,472,691 times

Advertisements

Due to a careless accident I had a kerosene fire in my garage. Nothing got burnt but the garage filled up with thick black smoke. I was able to put the fire out quickly and run a window fan to clear the smoke out. Everything in the garage was covered in soot. I vacuumed the ceiling, walls, floors and then washed everything and the garage is now clean.

My problem is in the finished room above the garage. There is soot at the edge of the carpet along the baseboards and I don't know how to clean it. I have tried Resolve and Spot-Shot and they don't do a thing. I would consider renting a Rug Doctor but I don't know how well it would clean at the edges and corners. There are no stains anywhere else - just the edges and corners along the baseboards.

Anyone have any ideas? I'll try anything at this point. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Time for new carpet.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,775,139 times
I had a house fire, as in the house is now in the landfill. The reason it's in landfill is not because it couldn't be rebuilt but because the soot has oils in, these oils will penetrate most surfaces including plastics and painted ones. The smoke damage was extensive through the entire structure. Getting that soot off of even glass is pretty hard especially if it has been baked on so eliminating that stink is not easy.

If it's on the edge of the carpet that means it was coming up through the floor so you're going to have those oils inside the structure itself. If it were me since I despise that smell to a degree you could not imagine I'd be ripping it down to the studs. Paint everything. They have special paint for this if you have any really bad areas.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM

792 posts, read 4,472,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If it's on the edge of the carpet that means it was coming up through the floor so you're going to have those oils inside the structure itself. If it were me since I despise that smell to a degree you could not imagine I'd be ripping it down to the studs. Paint everything. They have special paint for this if you have any really bad areas.
There's absolutely no odor, even if I shove my nose into the edge of the carpet at the baseboard. If there was then I would have already started tearing down to studs. I was just looking for tips about cleaning it. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,421 times
Default Hello

[URL="http://www.snappycanvas.com/"]Photo to painting[/URL]
We had one of our photos turned into an oil portrait canvas. Which really tied in and improved the look of our interior design.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,421 times
Default Hello

[url=http://www.snappycanvas.com/]Photo to painting[/url]
I found a great company that will take your photos and turn them into an oil portrait canvas. My friends love our photo to painting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House