Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 AM

6 posts, read 27,835 times

Advertisements

I just noticed that there is a grout marking on the skirting and some area i can see a gap under the skirting. Is it possible the foundation or floor tiles going down? could it be the tiles adesive shrink that make the tiles go down?

I dont see any crack on the plasterboard wall nor brick wall.

How do i check? Is there a professional that can have a look and claim to the builder to fix it? The house is only 2 years old. Please help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Need to be more specific...

Are the tiles made of vinyl or some other resilient material? Is what you are calling "skirting" the same as what as most would call "base board" ?

What sort of a gap are we talking about? The framing contracts in the cold and swells in the heat. A gap of at least a quarter inch is completely normal.

While concrete does shrink a bit over time, it does not really "fall" so much as fracture. If you have ceramic / porcelain or other hard tiles they have to be on an isolation membrane so these fractures do nit translate through to the finish floor. Resilient tile will "shift" a bit as the concrete cures over time...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearot View Post
I just noticed that there is a grout marking on the skirting and some area i can see a gap under the skirting. Is it possible the foundation or floor tiles going down? could it be the tiles adesive shrink that make the tiles go down?

I dont see any crack on the plasterboard wall nor brick wall.

How do i check? Is there a professional that can have a look and claim to the builder to fix it? The house is only 2 years old. Please help. Thanks.
Where are you located?

Is your home a slab foundation?

As the other poster asked are you speaking about the baseboard?

Can you provide a picture of what you are asking about?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

I am located in Melbourne Australia. I first noticed the gap in Jan 2011 which was a summer in here but we couldnt call it summer as wasnt hot enough as we got alot of rain. and during winter we dont get snow in the city.

Probably the skirting is the same as the base board. I attach the skirting picture as well and the gap/ grout mark I was talking about.

Yes the foundation is a slab foundation and The tiles are concrete tiles. The gap or grout marking is just over 1/4 inch.

Could it be the framing contract as we didnt get a proper summer season this year (not hot enough) ?

How to fix this gap? Should I remove the skirting board and put it back lower to cover the gap?
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation problem??-skirting.jpg   Foundation problem??-photo.jpg  

Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Unless your floor tiles are cracking, or there are cracks in your walls, its probably nothing to worry about. It is very common to have a gap between the baseboard and the flooring material.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Unless your floor tiles are cracking, or there are cracks in your walls, its probably nothing to worry about. It is very common to have a gap between the baseboard and the flooring material.
What would be causing this gap to appear after 2 years?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:49 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearot View Post
What would be causing this gap to appear after 2 years?
I am no expert and I am sure I will be corrected, but it could be the house settling.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Suggest the OP get out a level and check areas of concern as well as the plumbness of walls. Honestly even this may not tell you as you have no idea if the slab was poured level and the tile was level to begin with.

Look at other areas of the house that usually reveal settling such as sheetrock/plaster at the corners of window frames and doors on the inside. Are there cracks? Are you noticing differences in the way your interior doors swing or close/fail to stay closed?

If not, it is likely nothing to worry about. These minor gaps may have been present and you didn't notice them until recently. If you are in an area of Australia that has experienced flooding and are seriously concerned you might call in a structural engineer for an opinion (expensive).

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Yeah, but what about the door jamb withdrawing about 1/2 inch out of the floor tile? That seems pretty weird. Something is doing some fairly considerable moving, right? What could do that without cracking drywall or tiles or grout joints?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Yeah, but what about the door jamb withdrawing about 1/2 inch out of the floor tile? That seems pretty weird. Something is doing some fairly considerable moving, right? What could do that without cracking drywall or tiles or grout joints?

That door jamb picture has been digitally altered.
Not seeing a true picture- doesn't get a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House