Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times

Advertisements

I was in my crawl space and noticed a dried pool of dark liquid (almost like Coke was spilt and dried up) on the white plastic vapor barrier. I had noticed this before (along with rat droppings) and had had full exclusion done to my house. As part of the monitoring, there are a handful of rat/mouse traps throughout the crawl, yet no rats have been caught (and no sign of droppings), but I noticed this new dark spot yesterday. I had the pest control folks come out and they said it was not rat urine based on black lighting it, but didn't know what else it could be. It is in a different spot from the previous "puddle", but similarly along the foundation wall (hence me thinking rats). There is a water pipe nearby, but I would think it would be constantly wet in that case and not dark brown/black in color. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Blood?

You really should quit that human sacrifce thing in your home.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Ha ha - actually, I am considering the possiblity that it may be from a bat, but I haven't seen any in the crawl ever. We have them in the area and once had one come in via the chimney. I would think I would see more of the spots if that was the case, as the crawl is now sealed up pretty well and it wouldn't be able to leave. I noted what appeared be like little crystals in the main part of the dried puddle.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
A water leak from somewhere that gets coloured by running through wood, insulation etc. Just feel all around until you can trace the wet. Fot 10 years I had a business tracing water leaks in buildings and I was never defeated by one. Anyone can do it if you just pretend you are a detective and follow the clues.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
A water leak from somewhere that gets coloured by running through wood, insulation etc. Just feel all around until you can trace the wet. Fot 10 years I had a business tracing water leaks in buildings and I was never defeated by one. Anyone can do it if you just pretend you are a detective and follow the clues.
I will give this another shot this weekend...I had more or less ruled out a plumbing leak, as the same type of spot has occured in two different locations and the first spot has not reappeared. Also, the second spot has no water line near it, nor is there any type of plumbing above it anywhere in the house. The pest guy cleaned the spot, so I can now see if it reappears in the same spot or not (in both cases). I have read that bat urine tends to dry quickly and leave crystalized debris, but I am hoping that is not the case (and I can't fathom how they got in).

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Rat poisons cause them to bleed. Could be rat blood, and then the rat was eaten by another rat. Since blood has iron in it, there should be a simple test for it. Check online.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,061 times
Place traps right against the wall, every 5–10 feet.
Set snap traps in pairs. This is much more effective.
Two sets work well:
Side-by-side, perpendicular to the wall, with
the trigger snapping towards the wall
Parallel to the wall, with the triggers snapping
to the outside (not into the center)
Traps may be attached to rafters with nails, or to
pipes with wire or “Velcro” strips.
Bait with bacon, hot dog, liver, peanut butter, or
nut meats. You can sprinkle oatmeal around the trap
to make it even more attractive. You may want to
put the bait on the bottom of the trigger, which
increases the chance that the rats will spring the
trap.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
What did it taste like??? :-)

Since I spend a fair amount of time in crawlspaces, I see a lot of stuff like this.

Critters go in and out of crawlspaces, usually during the night. They can get into very small openings. It might be from them.

Cast iron waste pipes also drip a greasy dark liquid. Not sure what causes it, but it is not uncommon to see some spots on the plastic under waste pipe. Not large puddles mind you.

Take a look at the area ABOVE the stains. If there is floor insulation in place, put it aside. Look for any moisture stains on the floor joists and sub floor. If there is plumbing in that area, take a good look at the pipes, both supply and waste, and check for leaks. Run a bunch of water in the kitchen and bathrooms before you go under the house. You could have a very small leak.

Usually if it is urine, you can smell it.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
What did it taste like??? :-)

Since I spend a fair amount of time in crawlspaces, I see a lot of stuff like this.

Critters go in and out of crawlspaces, usually during the night. They can get into very small openings. It might be from them.

Cast iron waste pipes also drip a greasy dark liquid. Not sure what causes it, but it is not uncommon to see some spots on the plastic under waste pipe. Not large puddles mind you.

Take a look at the area ABOVE the stains. If there is floor insulation in place, put it aside. Look for any moisture stains on the floor joists and sub floor. If there is plumbing in that area, take a good look at the pipes, both supply and waste, and check for leaks. Run a bunch of water in the kitchen and bathrooms before you go under the house. You could have a very small leak.

Usually if it is urine, you can smell it.
Ah ha, another real leak detective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House