Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:16 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,092 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying one. Does anyone have one of these? If so would you recommend it or not?

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/washing.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Opinion on a mini washer-thumblarge135527.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 11:29 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,213,382 times
I guess if I didnt have 4 kids I might but how much stuff could you possibly fit in there
I don't even think you could fit a nice sized bathtowel in it let alone queen sized sheets

Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,708,872 times
It looks like a waste of money to me..

My God... I just realized you hand crank that thing !!! And look at how flimmsy those side support moldings are.....NO WAY

Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 AM

You're right it does look pretty flimsy. It's just I'm in a bind right now. Some fool walked into my apt. bldg. and stole the money from the washer and dryer. Of course they trashed the W/D in the process so now I'm looking for a way to wash my clothes in between visits to the laundromat.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,798,140 times
Uh, no way in hell.
If you are without a washer and dryer (as we were for 3 years!)
Go to the laundrymat. If you can't do that for some reason... We had dinner night with friends. We would bring the food to thier house, cook them dinner, do our laundry, then we would do their dishes. We get clean clothes, they get a free meal.
Are you on a apartment complex that only has one washer and dryer? Do you have any other buildings close to you that have them you can use in the mean time??

Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 AM

346 posts, read 1,780,310 times
Do not waste your money. Undies you can wash by hand.

The greasy wheel .... Call the rental office daily. Have your neigbors do the same. Your rental agreement included laundry facilities. How long have you been without? It should have been replaced within days but you mention "between laudromat visits". We had similar issues with gym equipment. A little internet research and detailed information sent to the regional manager got a response. If you need research help send a pm.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,905,408 times
This happened to me when the washer broke in my apartment. I washed a few loads of laundry in the bathtub. With modern detergents, the washing and rinsing is easy. Just use a rag mop handle and head without the mop attached. You can stand and agitate the clothes in the tub. Rinse by draining the tub and using the shower.

The worst part is wringing. You can find a clothes wringer that will attach to the side of the tub for under $100. or you can get one of those institutional type combination pail and mop wringers. It takes work but I found it was easy and took less time than going to the laundramat and cost a lot less.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've decided to go ahead and get an old-fashioned washboard for my light laundry. I've used one before and it seems that my clothes actually come out cleaner than if I had used the facilities in my apt. bldg.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,708,872 times
Wash Board !! I guess it beats going down to the creek and rubbing your clothes on a big rock.....

I gather we're not doing things from Victoria Secret etc...I wouldn't think they'd hold up to well to a scrub board.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,905,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've decided to go ahead and get an old-fashioned washboard for my light laundry. I've used one before and it seems that my clothes actually come out cleaner than if I had used the facilities in my apt. bldg.
Do a full load and you'll want that wringer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House