Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,753,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

Yeah, he did.

It's been a couple years now, and i sued him and won. Also had to pay someone else to finish the job - and since it had been over two years, all the prices had gone up, of course.

After i won my lawsuit, a Sheriff's Sale order went up to have him sell his house in order to pay me. Of course, the day before that, he claimed bankruptcy.

So - according to my lawyer - i may never get a cent of my money back. I just felt like posting this, to see if anyone thinks any differently. I'm going to see another lawyer just to make sure - but of course that costs money too. Some people (family) just feel that my lawyer was not agressive enough.

I get disability and retirement, and the contractor is really a piece of $%*! to do this to me. If anyone wants more details - just ask.

I had a contract consisting of 4 payments as he finished each part of the work. After the 3rd payment (when he had received most of the money, of course), he disappeard for 6-8 months. He finally showed up when i had the County Prosecutor call him! Then he disappeared again. Finally i gave up and sued. It was heartbreaking becuz his work was good, he was recommended by friends, and he had done so much of the work - i did not want the whole thing to stop! and for me to have to find someone else.

My life has really been f-ed up by this guy.
I'll bet he had a real expensive pick-up truck, and a very poor education.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
I know it is too late for this to help the original poster, but one way to protect yourself from this kind of problem, is to require that the contractor provide you with a "performance bond" from a reputable bonding company. Performance bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I worked as project manager for a large city we required performance and payment bonds on every construction contract, because this kind of problem is far too common.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 6 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,300,499 times
He had an OK pickup truck - just looked like a work truck.

He did come by one day to pick up one of his checks, and brought his Lexus SUV (or whatever they're called) to show it off to me. Of course, he's got a friend 'in the business,' so he drives it around with dealer tags, and probly leases it so nobody can get that from him. He also had a boat that he spent every weekend on with his family, when the weather was nice. What a life... sigh...

He worked in this county for 20 years, and had done work for 2 close friends of mine. Another close friend had actually worked for him for a while... he came highly recommended. Just another thing that makes it all so sickeningly sad. He knew how to lie - and lie good - when it mattered.

I sure could've used that Performance Bond!!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,518,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I'll bet he had a real expensive pick-up truck, and a very poor education.
Ha ha this just reminded me of the funniest estimate experience I ever had. I had these two pine trees growing out of the same mound (opposite leans so risk of upheaval) so I had two tree companies come out to give a quote to cut down. First quote was reasonable and I really liked the nature and knowledge of the arborist, so I was pretty much already sold. THEN the 2nd guy shows up in his Nissan 350Z (nice rims)...he was probably 60-65 years old, wearing a mix of Ed Hardy, Affliction and these bedazzled jeans that were way too tight! I had to keep my composure as he struts up. After looking at the trees, he gives me a quote $2k higher than the first guy and is super cocky about how he will actually use a crane to get them down safely (fyi, the first guy was also using a crane). I say "Thanks, I'll get back to you." About a year later I see the guy strutting through Nordstrom's with a mixed drink in his hand and still dressed to the 9's. So funny...he looked like he was drunk.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM

1,647 posts, read 4,332,254 times
To the OP, just know that karma's a bi*ch and your contractor will get what's coming to him.

I went through the same thing with a guy a few years ago when I built a new garage. I'll take my chances and dish out a little payback if I ever cross paths with the guy...I have friends in low places.

Knowing judgements mean nothing these days, I didn't bother taking him to small claims court and just finished the job with the help of a good friend's father, who is a great handyman.

It was a big learning experience for sure...next time around I'm going to put bidding contractors through the gauntlet.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
To the OP, just know that karma's a bi*ch and your contractor will get what's coming to him.

I went through the same thing with a guy a few years ago when I built a new garage. I'll take my chances and dish out a little payback if I ever cross paths with the guy...I have friends in low places.

Knowing judgements mean nothing these days, I didn't bother taking him to small claims court and just finished the job with the help of a good friend's father, who is a great handyman.

It was a big learning experience for sure...next time around I'm going to put bidding contractors through the gauntlet.
What would that gauntlet be???

Old 03-10-2011, 02:19 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,753,892 times
and when they mention their kid's very expensive schooling, it is also time to run!
I'll take Lopez Handyman in a 30 yo Chevy any day of the week, over some jack-arse with 400 Dollar rims.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM

1,647 posts, read 4,332,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What would that gauntlet be???
Next time I'll demand everything I was willing to brush aside the last time around for the sake of getting the low bid. Lesson learned...shoulda known better!

Documented (not just their word) proof of insurance, biz license, home address, drivers license/ID, more references, and willing to sign a contract with specific dates for completion of tasks & related payment schedule, with give/take for running behind schedule, over cost, or no-shows. What gets paid is what gets done, basically.

My last dealings with a concrete guy, a general contractor, and an electrician went great...mainly because they're local guys with reputations to sink or swim by. Now I have a good network for future reference...people who know people who get things done

Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,986,336 times
It's really just about setting up the contract to protect both of you. You should have never paid out that much money knowing how much was left to do. It's odd that he came so well recommended. In most of these cases, the crooked contractor was the lowest bidder, in which case I like to say "cheap work isn't good, and good work isn't cheap".

I'm sorry you got burned.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 6 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,300,499 times
I did learn a lot from it. A lot about rotten human beings lol...

But also that the contract should've had his license # on it (he WAS licensed), a start date AND an end date, more things should have been spelled out - AND, i wont take the recommendaton of friends - i'll check the better business bureau and ask the cops first!

All along the way, he told me he was purchasing things with the money - he told me the kitchen (cabinets and countertops) were just waiting for him to pick them up from the kitchen store and install them (the guy had been here to measure, make orders, etc.), he sent me to the flooring store to pick out the flooring, he was doing a lot of work on my house along the way. He chose to build the addition before doing the kitchen, so that we'd have somewhere to move everything while he tore out the kitchen and i moved all the junk out of it (my house was very small). It all made sense. Really, i'm not stupid... lol.

It was just a hurtful time. My mother had passed and left me money, and i decided to use some of it to help fix up the house. I have two older sisters - and as they came over to my house, year in and year out, they were furious to see it not finished, and called him every name and then some. It went on and on.

Then - the DAY the announcement was in the paper about his Sheriff Sale - his mom passed away, and i'm sure he was left with money. He then proceeded to claim bankruptcy. Just another piece of **** added to my pile.

Yes, i know he'll get his. I continue to live my life the way i always did, treating others the right way. But if i could have the State Police arrest him i would, and i still may try. Crime is crime. (the Prosecutor had told me to look into it) And Karma is a mutha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House