U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM

448 posts, read 946,267 times

Advertisements

i am curious to what i leagaly own in a condo past the drywall do i own the frame around it or does the board own the frame i know that i own the plumbing and wiring as well as the insulation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM

761 posts, read 3,229,114 times
Read your bylaws, it should explain it.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM

@Norsky1
i did says nothing about what i own and don't own. just says stuff like keep your area clean no noise after 10 pm stuff like that nothing about what i own and don't own northsky.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

761 posts, read 3,229,114 times
Maybe ask the board of directors then? I know in my condo that I rent out, I can't change the structure (framing, etc), but could tear out the sheetrock and redo it though.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM

10,426 posts, read 47,156,769 times
It really doesn't matter what you own or don't own. The communist HOA will tell you what you can and can't do with it.........even if it belongs to you and you make payments on it. So what does it matter in all honesty?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:29 PM

15,342 posts, read 57,470,865 times
I'm guessing by your other posts that you don't actually own-yet?
If in fact that's the case- you got a lot of homework ahead of you. And we're not here to do it for you.
I will tell you this; there are different legal documents that cover the purchase of any RE.

Bylaws-The rules and regulations enacted by an association or a corporation to provide a framework for its operation and management.
Covenant(s)-A clause in a contract that requires one party to do, or refrain from doing, certain things.
condos also have an agreement, or declaration, that dictates the way the condominium operates and is governed.

Before buying a condo, you should request and read the documents that apply to the management of the complex. Some of the hot issues for a complex- How big is the condominium's reserve fund? How does management deal with owners' requests and complaints? Does the condominium impose strict rules and guidelines on owners that you might be unhappy with? etc.
As Norsky stated- talk to the board and/or management company.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:17 PM

100 posts, read 524,320 times
In many cases you will only own shares in the entire building ; dependent on the particular unit.

"Condo" is a vague term describing an endless variety of housing. Your State Laws may have their own section dedicated to Condominium Law.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM

5,375 posts, read 9,054,132 times
If it's an alteration that's going to cost money, it's yours. If it's something you've changed that the board didn't like, then it's the board's.

Seriously, it's spelled out in the documents somewhere - perhaps in something recorded when the development was established.

I previously owned a condo - I allegedly owned everything except the outside walls and the roof. BUT, the association carried fire insurance on the interior (but not my contents). I had a basement but I'm not sure who would have been responsible if I had foundation problems. Whew! I'm glad I sold the thing!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 AM

looked at one yesturday OMG they wanted a certain color curtains and i couldn't change nothing around inside as well as the board assotion said they require 50% down i was like no way in hell and told the realitor and walked out. no matter what it seems i'm gonna need my lawyer to look at there rules and regs and cross out what they can't enforce sometimes when i call and ask for the bylaws so i tell em so i can have my lawyer look at em they hang up dosent sound like a good assoition to me. i don't think buying a condo is gonna be a smart choice

Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM

2,885 posts, read 5,259,014 times
You can do anything you wish on the inside, it's your property. 50% down for what..? The board doesn't own the condo, how can they demand 50%? I think you are badly confused on many issues...
I have lived in a condo for 6 years. totally trouble free, never have heard from the board. I pay my dues and follow the rules, so there will never be a problem...
They maintain everything on the outside, the inside is mine to maintain..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House