Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

Thanks JimRom.

Yeh, this house doesn't have good air movement and of course I had to pick a week that's quite humid. Just my luck. Or lack of advance preparing.

Do you think it would dry faster if I turned on the A/C and closed the windows? I know you're supposed to have good air circulation because of the fumes, but if we move to the other side of the house while I do it, would that work? Or would it just pull the fumes through the A/C system. Guessing that's what it would do. Dont know how in the world I'm going to get them all done with it taking so long to dry. They're just now not tacky so I can sand. How in the world will I get on three or four coats?

I think I'll go with four. We're *hoping* to sell the house soon and move further south (yuck) but there's no telling for sure so I figure I'd better be safe than sorry. God knows I don't want to have to do this again. When I saw quick dry I thought this would be a weekend project. Grrrrr.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking when I decided to go this route. I've talked to people that like the old look floors too so I decided to leave them and just put on a new coat of poly.

I used a clear gloss oil based polyurethane. It's still a very tiny bit tacky this evening and it's been on the floor for about 24 hours. I'm learning quickly that their 'fast-drying' claim is pretty bogus! LOL

I've not sanded them yet. Had planned on doing it first thing this morning but when it still felt a little tacky to me I decided to not chance it. Once that tacky feeling is gone, lightly sand with super fine grit and then do another coat and then repeat? With the dogs do you think a fourth or fifth coat is a good idea or do you think three coats will stand up to doggie derby?
I elected to patch portions that were too damaged with reclaimed white oak salvaged from houses of a similar era (I like the patina also) then sand, stain darker only I used a wax finish rather than a poly. One more knowledgeable than I instructed me that old floors finished with poly often start to cup inside of a year. I think I understand the premise and it made enough sense for me to go with wax instead of poly. The end result looks right in the house.

BTW, if I ever try to do that myself again - I'm using a big random orbital sander. The belt sander is fast, but it works by pure force of ignorance and offensiveness.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
And that "quote" stinks to high-heaven. I can get hardwood floors re-done all day long for $1.25- $1.40 sq/ft.
OP doesn't say how large the room is but if it's 15 x 18 that would be 270 sq. ft. At the cost you mention it would run some where between $337.50 and $378.00 for that size so I don't see how $200.00 plus supplies stinks.

Even if the room is a much more modest 12 x 14 it's 168 sq ft - which comes out to $210 - 235 by your costs.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I do not know whether you can switch, or if they make it in oil base, but you may want to switch from gloss to satin. Gloss ends up looking kind of like putting a glass top over an antique table. It is ok, but if you are going for an authentic look, satin is better. You may be able to top coat with satin. I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House