Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, if you find out that what he is doing is legal and customary in the area you moved to, I take it you'll leave it alone?
Well, I don't know about customary--I've never seen anyone else do this and another neighbor already asked him to stop. But if it's legal and he insists on being inconsiderate then what can I do? My only choice then is to: a) make sure to weatherstrip the crap out of the chimney and exterior windows, b) try to keep my heat/a.c. off when he's doing it to not draw the smoke in more than it's already coming in, c) put plastic up around the windows to create a better seal even though it's unsightly, and d) think about replacing some of the draftier windows even though that's ridiculously expensive and it pisses me off to have to do this because of an inconsiderate neighbor's insistence on burning his brush instead of taking it to the dump or getting it picked up. I just have to hope that I don't have a severe asthma attack from this. And it annoys me that that he's disturbing the tranquility of my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
I do not know the statutes or ordinances where you live. As I said before, placing a call first should give you the answers you need. If it is legal, perhaps they will not come.
OTOH, usually there is a provision that if neighbors have health issues from it, like asthma, they would not be allowed to burn.

It is a fine line......awhile ago we had a person who was using an outdoor smoker. That was legal. When we turned the corner and drove down the street the smoke that was blowing across the street was so heavy you would have thought a house was on fire.....you could not see past the smoke. Neighbors were rightfully complaining that smoke was getting in their houses, etc. The bottom line was that although it is legal to use a smoker or a grill, etc......it is NOT legal to create a nuisance and cause neighbors health problems, etc. The person had to stop using his smoker.

The bottom line here is simply that when you have close neighbors, you cannot do anything you want. If people have a problem with that, they buy lots of acreage.....

Frank

Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
So you're saying they will drive up in a big firetruck just for this, without the sirens going? But what if the guy has a permit, then he can legally burn brush in this county and he can keep on doing what he is doing. The fire is contained in a BBQ thing, though the flames are tall.
They have regular F-350 sized trucks too, you know...

Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Is it a rural/semi-rural area? Sounds like what I've seen often here in Vermont. New people move in and try to tell everyone in the country to stop burning wood, cutting trees, shooting guns, keeping livestock, etc.

My advice is get a good air purifier in your house and seal up any cracks/leaks. if it's strongest near your fireplace, stuff some fiberglass insulation up the flue when it's not in use to seal it up. You're going to run into fumes from things burning anywhere you live. I find grills and engine fumes in cities worse than a wood fire.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Call and see if its legal.Where I live it's not legal.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Do not move to rural Missouri! lol
We burn quite a bit (leaves, underbrush) but it doesn't usually take more than a few days. Hopefully your neighbor will run out of stuff to burn soon. I can't believe someone would burn like that in a place with an HOA though.
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Hopefully your neighbor will run out of stuff to burn soon. I can't believe someone would burn like that in a place with an HOA though.
Let us know how it turns out.
Yes, we're in a regular suburban neighborhood--not in rural area at all. The houses are quite close together. He did burn until 11 pm last night but today/tonight nothing so far, so I'm going to wait and see how tonight turns out before taking further action.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Wow. Don't move to the country. Everyone here burns everything. We pay someone to haul off our trash. There's no 'dump' here and no county run garbage. So what you add to your garbage pile to be hauled off costs you money. I won't burn our trash. Hubby is a retired fire fighter and is very firm on that. But every late fall / early winter we burn all the leaves and limbs / branches that have falled and every spring we burn all the other leaves and branches that come down in the spring storms. We probably burn a couple dozen days a year. God help ya if you try telling anyone here to not burn.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Keep calling the fire department.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
The suburban neighborhood with houses spaced closely together really sets this apart from rural burning... huge difference between the two IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House