Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
does your town of 10,000 people allow outside boilers as a means of heating in winter?

Many /most towns in Minnesota ban them within the city limits.
Don't know. I have not seen one anywhere. There are a few houses that do not have a furnace or boiler and just use wood, but I think they use pot bellies or fireplaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Sometimes it's necessary to burn. I bought a property last year that the previous owner let get overrun with brush and vines, so I hired someone with a bobcat to come in and push it all up into piles so I can burn it. The city will pick up small piles of debris, but only one pile per week. At that rate it would take the rest of the year to get the stuff gone. I'm sure the smoke probably annoys some of the neighbors, and if they want to pay for some dump trucks to come in and haul this stuff to the landfill I'll sure let them! Most of the time when the fires start burning really hot there's not much smoke anyways.

Many of the complainers here would surely hate living near the Florida panhandle, because the forestry service here regularly conducts controlled burns on hundreds of acres at a time. Sometimes the smoke will last for days.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
You know, don't you, that your beloved 30 to 40 foot high bonfires are not safe. And what do you bonfire maniacs get out of them. I wouldn't be here today, but a neighbor is burning open, with 20 foot high flames. If like here, the fire department is, however, on the side of the absurd bonfire-crazed.
In my town, they require that the fire be 100' away from a structure, and that you must have a water hose nearby. If the weather gets unusually dry they will sometimes issue a temporary "no burn" order.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sometimes it's necessary to burn. I bought a property last year that the previous owner let get overrun with brush and vines, so I hired someone with a bobcat to come in and push it all up into piles so I can burn it. The city will pick up small piles of debris, but only one pile per week. At that rate it would take the rest of the year to get the stuff gone. I'm sure the smoke probably annoys some of the neighbors, and if they want to pay for some dump trucks to come in and haul this stuff to the landfill I'll sure let them! Most of the time when the fires start burning really hot there's not much smoke anyways.

Many of the complainers here would surely hate living near the Florida panhandle, because the forestry service here regularly conducts controlled burns on hundreds of acres at a time. Sometimes the smoke will last for days.
They wouldn't be able to live here for sure. The valley gets socked in during fire season. Some years you couldn't see through the thick smoke.
Attached Thumbnails
Inconsiderate neighbor burning something in his yard-helena-smoke.jpg  

Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I was out west last year doing some firefighting on those western fires and the first night at one fire we were in the town on a ball field camping and the smoke was so bad in that valley it was like sleeping in a chimney. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you walking around that night. Was breathing in smoke all night. Eyes tearing up. Barely slept. Luckily we got sent to a spike camp halfway up the mountains after that, just out of the smoke. I sure wouldn't want to live out west if I had asthma.

Wood smoke comes with living in the country here. especially in winter. Now burning trash is another story. That's truly poisonous and illegal here for good reason. I wouldn't tolerate a neighbor burning trash.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Wood smoke comes with living in the country here. especially in winter. Now burning trash is another story. That's truly poisonous and illegal here for good reason. I wouldn't tolerate a neighbor burning trash.
There's a strange old man that lives down the road from me that used to run a TV repair shop years ago. I walked out into my yard one day and saw a huge plume of black smoke in the distance, so I got in my car and drove down there to see what it was... well I guess he decided to clear out his shed, because he had a pile of old TV sets out there that he had set fire to . I couldn't believe it. I'm not usually the snitching type, but I called the fire dept on him that day.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:11 PM
R_F

13 posts, read 12,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover
I bought a property last year that the previous owner let get overrun with brush and vines, so I hired someone with a bobcat to come in and push it all up into piles so I can burn it.
Great example, since the most common vine issue in many states is poison ivy. Burn that and spread the happiness.

Freedom, apparently, is about making others suffer because someone is ignorant of the consequences of their actions, or just doesn't care enough.

The person who talked about compost was spot-on. Brush piles and piles of dead limbs will decompose over time. It is not necessary to ruin a person's lungs with burning.

People are ignorant and burn treated wood, putting arsenic into the air and hexavalent chromium. They burn wood with lead paint on it.

Another reason why wealthy people live longer is because they can live away from idiotic neighbors with their matchbooks.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 PM
R_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Makes me wonder how we ever survived as a species when everyone used wood and lived amongst wildfires and even volcanic activity. It's just amazing we ever made it, given how natural objects burning are so dangerous to human life and existence.
Humans died young and suffered horribly.

For example, Vikings had worm infestations. Worms would come out of their faces, or even their eyes.

The good old days, before people learned more things... like just because it can be burned doesn't mean it should be burned.

As for natural, I wouldn't get too cozy with aconitum plants if I were you, or things like the natural volcano eruption that sealed the people of Pompeii in.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM
R_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't understand why people think burning leaves is ok. It is a selfish inconsiderate thing to do, especially in a neighborhood. And before someone mentions leaf accumulation in the country is significant and there is no other way to dispose of them: I lived on 5 acres surrounded by 100s of acres of forest. The leaves that fell each fall were unreal. However I managed to rake and compost them. In addition to the great soil it produced, I had the satisfaction of knowing I wasn't contributing to polluting the earth unnecessarily.

'The smoke generated by a large number of simultaneous leaf fires can cause significant health problems. Leaf smoke can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat of healthy adults. But it can be much more harmful to small children, the elderly, and people with asthma or other lung or heart diseases. This is because the visible smoke from leaf fires is made up almost entirely of tiny particles that can reach deep into lung tissue and cause symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, chest pain and shortness of breath - symptoms that might not occur until several days after exposure to large amounts of leaf smoke.

Besides being an irritant, leaf smoke contains many hazardous chemicals, including carbon monoxide and Benzo(a)pyrene. Carbon monoxide binds with hemoglobin in the bloodstream and thus reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood and lungs. So carbon monoxide can be very dangerous for young children with immature lungs, smokers, the elderly, and people with chronic heart or lung diseases. Benzo(a)pyrene is known to cause cancer in animals and is believed to be a major factor in lung cancer caused by cigarette smoke and coal tar as well as leaf smoke.

According to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency studies, sometimes concentrations of air pollutants resulting from leaf burning can be so high that the air does not meet federal health standards. In fact, in some areas burning of leaves and brush sometimes causes much higher levels of air pollution than all other forms of air pollution combined (such as factories, vehicles, and lawn and garden equipment).'
Tell your lungs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Magical thinking will solve the problem. Who needs facts?

Old 09-05-2017, 08:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I love the smell of leaves burning in the morning. You know, one time we had a large pile burning, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. I didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' leaf. The smell, you know that burnt leaf smell, the whole backyard. Smelled like victory. Someday fall's gonna end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House