Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times

Advertisements

Just today the Washington Post had a great article about hardwood floors. One thing I learned is that care of the floor really depends on the finish. If you have a polyurethane top coat on your floors, you don't ever want to use wax or Murphy's Oil Soap. But, if you have old floors that haven't been refinished with poly, then go ahead and use to oil soap.

Article is here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM

141 posts, read 686,093 times
we have golden eagle brand engineered wood floors. They are dark and we have a 55lb dog. No scratches. I just use the swiffer vacum and Zep to keep them in shape

Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Yeah, I've heard from other people that engineered wood floors, dark or not, should operate just the same as regular hardwood floors. FWIW, our engineered wood floor is Columbia.
Our dog weighs three times yours, Rowlett, and we keep his nails short, but I am not positive his size is the particular problem. Other things have caused scratches as well, of various sizes, some minor, some larger.
I don't want to make it sound as if our floor is a mass of scratches, it's not, but we do have plenty.
Maybe the dark wood just seems to make the scratches stand out more to me?
Am I missing something here?
I dunno.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
For those of you who use Murphy's Oil Soap, please see the link below and read the material.

Never use oil soap.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 AM

It could just be the weight of your dog. We just put our floors in last winter and the first time our dog ran accross the floor, nails just tapping away, I held my breath. I am very pleased with the floors so far. The worst part is dust balls show up quickly, thus the swifer vacum. I do think the engineered floors hold up better than real hardwood for day to day traffic. You may try Old English dabbed on a paper towel to conceal the scratches. I would go very easy on it though. A little goes a long way with that stuff.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:27 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I have Murphy oil soap but how do I get the floors clean/germ free?
IMO none of the suggested non-soap non-water cleaning methods will get a floor really clean/germ free.

Vacuuming or swiffers won't remove anything except dust and loose dirt.

I'm a clean freak and that's why I don't have either wood floors or carpet. I don't want any floor surface that can't be regularly cleaned with water and some kind of soap or cleanser.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:38 PM

that was why I was glad to get rid of carpet in the living room and hallway.
It always seemed dirty and I didn't want to drag my steamer out on a daily basis. The upkeep on the wood floors is very easy and I don't think they harbor lots of germs. I am happy with being able to keep the dust and dirt cleand up daily with the swifer vac and zep hardwood floor cleaner. II will never go back to carpet there. I do still have it in the bedrooms, but thats ok, it's nice there and even though it's white it stays clean as long as people take shoes off at front door. I will say in the summer I can't stand to walk accross a tile or wood floor and feel dirt under foot, I go through those swiffer clothes like crazy. I don't like the cost, but nothing seems to work as well.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 26,692 times
Can you use the wet swifter cloth on the preengineered floors

Old 08-27-2007, 07:35 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,209 times
Our hardwoods are 107 yrs old.........heart pine. We use a barely damp mop with just a splash of pine sol in the water(i guess for the smell)..........the amount we put in prolly does'nt even clean but it makes the house smell good!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 26,456 times
Default how too clean hardwood floors

Okay The Best Way To Clean Hard Wood Floors Is To Sweep....&& This May Sound Funny But I Use Pledge On My Floors Once A Week..they Shine Like New Leather...very Easy...just Scrub The Pledge Around..spot To Spot..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House