Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times

Advertisements

My gable-mounted attic fan was disconnected prior to when I purchased my home. I went up there yesterday to hook it back up. I was expecting it to lower the temperature on the 2nd story of my house. It can't be good to have 100°F+ up there.

1) It seems pretty loud (first time homeowner, so I have no prior experience with how loud attic fans are).

2) It didn't appear to do much after running for 5 hours after sundown for the upstairs temperature.

Before I go any further with this, are attic fans just loud in general? I can hear it from the 1st floor. Should I remount it with rubber or something to absorb the vibration?

As for helping to remove the heat from up there, should I install an intake fan at the other end of the attic as well to create a draft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
It's probably an old fan.

Have a certified person install a new one.

They should not be loud.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I think a common thermostat setting is 105F for the attic fan.

I think the only thing an attic fan would do is remove heat from the attic so the ceilings of the upper floors don't get as hot and radiate heat into the house???

(Interesting this thread is being asked in March.)

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
As for helping to remove the heat from up there, should I install an intake fan at the other end of the attic as well to create a draft?
Uh, no.
First off- read my post from other thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/18386004-post2.html

As a general rule gable vents were used two ways- if the house had soffit vents they were considered the exhaust vent. If there were no soffit vents (especially like older homes that had exposed rafter tails) the gable vents were the intake and turtlebacks (roof vents) were the exhaust.
So, depending on your situation a gable power ventilator could be doing a lot or next to nothing. The "nice" thing about gable power ventilators was no hole in the roof.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The question about having an "intake fan" on the opposite gable is generally frowned on / prohibited by code. The problem is that should a fire break out the "intake fan" is literally fanning the flames just as bellows would.

Safer to be sure there is sufficient vent area to allow for exhaust fan to not struggle. Also be sure fan and associated wiring are regularly checked for safety. Noise could indicate out of balance condition which could lead to failed bearings / overheated motor and more troubles.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
(Interesting this thread is being asked in March.)
It was 85°F here yesterday

Thanks for the replies.

I have soffit vents. I used to have those turbine looking things on the roof, but when I had the roof re-shingled, they were replaced with ridge vents. Neither seem to vent much heat.

The heat radiating down from the attic is a bit out of control. Last night it was 65° outside (85° during the day), I had the windows upstairs open. It wasn't until 4am where the room finally cooled to 70°. That just doesn't seem right.

I think I probably need to look into increasing the insulation up there rather than focusing on the fan. Or possibly getting a radiant barrier. Anyone have any input on the radiant barrier? Is it possible to do both?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM

Radiant barrier was just discussed-
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...l#post18273237

Just "having" soffit vents isn't enough- they have to be clear of obstructions.
For Summerville- you should have enough insulation for an R-38 rating (zone rating for SC).
That's approximately 14" of blown f/glass.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM

They are clear of obstructions. I took each one off the soffit while I was painting a few weeks back to inspect. I'm definitely below 14 inches on my insulation up there. I guess insulation should come first, followed by radiant barrier IF necessary. Of course, installing the barrier after blowing all that insulation would be difficult.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,865 times
Thumbs up Powered Attic Ventilators

This is the best Powered Attic Ventilators, A 14 in. diameter steel blade specially designed for maximum air movement., Operates automatically. Adjustable thermostat built-in.-Broan-358-Roof-Mounted-1200-CFM-Attic-Ventilator

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-30-2011 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Mod Cut New Member Link.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argelyn View Post
This is the best Powered Attic Ventilators, A 14 in. diameter steel blade specially designed for maximum air movement., Operates automatically. Adjustable thermostat built-in.-->>Buy the BROAN - NUTONE ( NAUTILUS ) - Broan 358 Roof Mounted 1200 CFM Attic Ventilator at TheHardwareCity.com
New posters aren't suppose to link (C-D ToS).
Nobody ever mentioned anything about power roof ventilators and I don't think the OP is interested in punching a hole in the roof. And Broan isn't necessarily "the best" on the market. There are several other manufacturers available that are as good or better-
Ventamatic
Hartzell
Master Flow
AIR VENT
OP has concluded that the best course of action right now is insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House