Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times

Advertisements

I know prices around the country vary, but I was wondering what I would have to pay to have the following things done. Just looking for some ball park figures that:

1. New downstairs bathroom: All that is there now is a toilet at the corner of an unfinished space of 6 feet x 12 feet. Want room to be about 6 x 6, with a folding door

I want a vanity, and a corner shower. As far as I can tell the water lines are available as is the drainage, but the water pipes will all have to be moved down the wall for both the vanity and the shower. The drainage will also have to be moved a foot or so. Needs new walls, ceilings, fixtures, everything. Would like paneled walls with a drop ceiling, and would like grouted Traffic master ceramica tile floor.

Electrical wires will need to be extended and switches put in for the vanity light, and the GF outlet, as well as a 2 foot floor electric heating unit with separate line connecting to the junction box 25 feet away.

2. Need laundry room of 6 x 6 attached to the above bathroom, and all drainage and plumbing will have to be moved. Again smae flooring as bathroom, same walls, same drop ceiling. and new light for ceiling, which has to be moved also.

3. Large 11.5 foot clothes closet in two parts with two sets of 30 inch folding doors. Wish to have the closet framed out like a window/door framing instead of just the drywall edges.

4. Need to have my family room that has the wood stove in it renovated: new walls, flooring, drop ceiling. Needs piecing around the house beam and metal post, and around the elecrical junction box. Needs slate or brick tile for the wood stove and cement board walls. New flooring, drop ceiling, framing of 2 windows. Room is 16 x 12.

5. Would like a new 10 x 40 foot pressure treated deck across the back of my house. Only 1-2 feet above grade depending on level of ground.

Can anyone give me some ball park figures for having these things done? I'm probably going to have to save a lot for this, and I'm not terribly handy myself, nor do I have all the tools I would need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The bathroom upgrade might be fairly easy / inexpensive. If no drains need to be relocated this is mostly basic work and if you choose budget minded finishes all the mateiral could come in below $3500. Professional labor might come in double that, but if you can do some things yourself the whole thing could be closer $5k.

Adjacent laundry room is going to be tougher to spec -- lack of existing dryer hook ups might add a lot of costs. Easily as much as bathroom, and if drains are also needed ro be modified might be more...

Closet , regardless of trim, is all basic carpentry, maybe electric for light. Cheap. Under $1500 unles you get fancy storage systems.

Family room is another story -- slate is PRICEY and brick is hard work. If you want a professional looking job you will need to pay for skilled labor to finish this right. Could easily be as much or more than all other projects. Maybe $10k.

Deck is HUGE at 400 sq ft. Lots of wood. Depending on features and access the labor could be cheap or outasight. Low end "platform only" maybe $2000 if you DIY, high end 5x -- seating, rails, fancy steps are all time consuming even for a pro..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House