Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If it still available a paste mix of Trisodium Phospahte will absorb the oily gasoline out of the wood. Its a old gunsmiths method of aborbing oil and other such things. Might have to be applied several times tho.
You can get it the hardware store in the paint section. Marked as TSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
This is your method of last resort. Trisodium Phosphate is a hazardous chemical, and you should wear heavy duty rubber gloves and safety goggles when using this product. Avoid getting this solution on anything.

hazards associated with TSP

Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Since the original request was "What is the best way to get the stink out permanently??", the term permanent is what prompted my response of cut it out and replace the wood.

Obviously it depends on how long the gas was on the wood, and how deeply it soaked into the wood.

Kitty litter does do a pretty good job of absorbing the oils, etc., however adding bleach will not likely do much at all, and too high of a concentration of bleach can actually damage the wood.
While Dawn detergent is great for getting oil off birds at oil spills, or getting it off your hands, it probably won't be that effective on plywood for getting down into the layers of plywood.
Not sure how TSP would work on wood. I know it works great on concrete.

While my first post was kind of glib, the more I think about it, the more I think its the best solution. here's why...
1. You will permanently get rid of the stain AND the odor.
2. Since you are obviously pretty pissed about this, no matter what you do, there will be a stain there to remind you of the incident. Replacing the wood will give you a new floor in that area.
3. It would take less time than just about all of the other solutions and be a PERMANENT solution. Someone with a skill saw and a little skill could do this in less than a half hour, and the cost of a small piece of plywood and a couple small 2x4's for blocking is pretty low.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You can get it the hardware store in the paint section. Marked as TSP.
If you look at the packaging, a lot of it says TSP "substitute".

Seriously, my recommendation would have been to apply a sealer to the floor. Any odor would be sealed in.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Thank You to everyone for the ideas. I appreciate!

Temporary measures have been taken, more will be taken, and the floor is going to be sanded and sealed - at least in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House