Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 AM

23 posts, read 258,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Our clothes were stinky too ,but ours has a cleaning program for washer only. We use this about once a month and smell went away. We have Whirlpool Duet.
The Whirlpool Duets and their Kenmore cousins have recesses in the spiders and in the rear section of the outer tub.

I do not know what 'cleaner' you have used during the 'cleaning program' but should it have been 'Affresh' as recomended and sold by Whirlpool I would draw your attention to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Affresh put out by Whirlpool which is available here: - http://www.uww.edu/adminaffairs/riskmanagement/msds/files/affresh_washer_cleaner_whirlpool_corporation_07300 7.pdf
From this you will observe that the principal ingredients are sodium carbonate (washing soda) and sodium percarbonate peroxyhydrate (which is just another name for sodium percarbonate). Now when water is added to sodium percarbonate hydrogen peroxide (the actual cleaning agent) is released and sodium carbonate is formed. Sodium carbonate is, in the required concentration, corrosive to aluminium and its alloys.

Now in section 9.0 of the MSDS It gives the pH of a 1% solution as 10.5-10.7. The scientific and engineering commuity generally accept that the corrosion of aluminium and its alloys can start with a pH value as low as 8.0 and will definitely occur with a pH value greater than 9.0.

Further in section 10 of the MSDS it notes that it incompatible with reducing agents, aluminium is a reducing agent.

The powder OxiKleen products and Tide washining machine cleaner contain basically the same principal ingredients.

The main product of the corrosion of the aluminim is aluminium oxide, the 'grit' in sandpaper. This will normally adhere quite strongly to the donor metal (the aluminium alloy spider). It will also hold some small quantity of the washing/rinsing water together with all its contaminants.

Still wondering where your smells may be coming from?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
That's odd we have a Whirlpool Duet 9400 front loader and have never had a issue with any smell or a moments trouble out of it. We use the recommended detergent and leave the door open about an inch when not in use and everything smells nice and clean.
HELLO, I can't believe I aM SEEING THIS ON HERE. we have the whirlpool and my daughter in law also has same thing. We do the clean cycle every month but we still get this ( mainly on towells) that smell that is worse when the towell gets wet. It seems this is with a lot of the whirpool brand. we leave the door open also. It is horrible. we are moving and are happy to leave this one b ehind although it is only a year old and move on to another brand.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
I've had front loaders for twelve years n NEVER had a foul smell, icky Goo problem n I do 30 to 40 loads a week. Owned 4 different brand whichever one has the color I want. Suggestion could be, don't leave ur clothes in the washer to long, that will put a foul smell to anything, in a washer or out. Just sayin...

Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
After all I have read our new washer will be a top loader, again.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 AM

Withe reference to the above it has recently come to my attention that Whirlpool have admitted in a Canadian court that:
1. They have altered the material of their spiders, to an aluminium alloy more resistant to corrosion.
2. Altered the design of the spiders to improve drainage.
3. Altered the design of the outer tubs to reduce pooling.
4. Altered the user manuals to give instruction regarding cleaning and introduced cleaning cycles to the machines.
The details can be found on pages 15 to 19 here:
http://classproceedings.ca/files/201...ed-Reasons.pdf
In this document the spiders are referred to as braces or cross pieces.
These modifications were made to reduce the incidences of bio-film build causing odors and corrosion of the spiders.
Please note that this is is the judge's 'decision' and reflects what she understood the Whirlpool representatives to have said.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I have always had top loaders and still battle with the musty smell. Ended up doing towels in hot with bleach and always leaving the door open. That seems to solve it for me. If it gets closed by accident for too long, the smell comes back and I do a hot load with bleach and leave the door open again. There must be pooling water in top loaders too.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I have always had top loaders and still battle with the musty smell. Ended up doing towels in hot with bleach and always leaving the door open. That seems to solve it for me. If it gets closed by accident for too long, the smell comes back and I do a hot load with bleach and leave the door open again. There must be pooling water in top loaders too.
With top loaders I understand that it is usually a build of of `crud` underneath the top lip of the outer tub and occasionally a build up on the bottom of the outer tub.
The `cure`is to remove the agitator , if fitted, or bottom plate, then the inner drum and physically scrap and wipe the deposits away. A much easier job than with front loaders but usually more repulsive, so I am told.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguggy View Post
With top loaders I understand that it is usually a build of of `crud` underneath the top lip of the outer tub and occasionally a build up on the bottom of the outer tub.
The `cure`is to remove the agitator , if fitted, or bottom plate, then the inner drum and physically scrap and wipe the deposits away. A much easier job than with front loaders but usually more repulsive, so I am told.
Eeewww. But thanks

Old 03-23-2013, 01:51 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
We have an LG Steamwasher HE front-loader that was purchased in the summer of 2006. I've never encountered a musty smell, but we do run the "tub clean" cycle every two weeks or so. We often leave the door open after removing a load of clothes but not always. Recently, my wife bought some kind of washing machine cleaner that was on-sale at the store. I think it's made by Tide. I don't think it does anything more/better than the existing "tub clean" cycle that uses bleach.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
We have an LG Steamwasher HE front-loader that was purchased in the summer of 2006. I've never encountered a musty smell, but we do run the "tub clean" cycle every two weeks or so. We often leave the door open after removing a load of clothes but not always. Recently, my wife bought some kind of washing machine cleaner that was on-sale at the store. I think it's made by Tide. I don't think it does anything more/better than the existing "tub clean" cycle that uses bleach.
Might I respectfully draw your attention to the following thread:
Discuss-o-Mat Thread: Everyone meet Horsey->LG
This details one guys tear down of an LG machine similar to yours. Replies 60-63, 70 and 71 show the shaft side of the spider and and the recesses in it. The whitish/grey deposits you see are aluminium oxide. Replies 72 and 73 show the drum side of the spider, note the recesses in the hub. Replies 75-77 show the rear section of the outer tub, again note the recesses.
This machine does not appear to have suffered a build up of 'crud' but you should be able to appreciate how these recesses could harbor pooling water that could turn foul smelling.
LG have had a lot of complaints about foul odors, I believe one of the causes of this are those recesses, which are similar to the recesses Whirlpool claim to have eliminated on their machines, please see my post #81 in this thread. I also make mention of the ingredients in Tide Washing Machine Cleaner in that post.

Bleach and hot water will kill mold and mildew and thus reduce the foul odors for a while but they will not remove the deposits left behind which will provide good breeding grounds for future build ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House