Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,134,321 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a house in Brentwood TN that has a storage loft built in.

We don't have much stuff (and don't aspire to acquire a bunch of stuff) so we don't need or want the loft.

I've called the installer already (his company's name was on the loft) and he's going to get back to me in a couple of days with an estimate to remove it, but I'm wondering if there is someone who might be able to use all the lumber and materials who might pay me to remove it (or at least remove it for free or low-cost).

Naturally, I would want a professional and someone who is covered by insurance.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a somewhat random question

Last edited by JMT; 04-06-2011 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
What sort of problem is there with leaving the storage area intact? Not enough room to get your vehicles in the garage???

I really would doubt you would ever find even a hard core "free cycler" type that would do this sort of thing for free AND do it well. Taking things apart in way that they can be reused is very very labor intensive -- pneumatically driven nails and modern construction adhesives make "disassembly" all but impossible. Demolition is probably the only way to remove this...

Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,238,010 times
Don't you ever expect to re-sell your house? There are very few people who don't value extra storage. You're throwing money away. (If you don't use it, you could rent out the space in some neighborhoods.)

Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM

572 posts, read 1,603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
Just purchased a house in Brentwood TN that has a storage loft built in.

We don't have much stuff (and don't aspire to acquire a bunch of stuff) so we don't need or want the loft.

I've called the installer already (his company's name was on the loft) and he's going to get back to me in a couple of days with an estimate to remove it, but I'm wondering if there is someone who might be able to use all the lumber and materials who might pay me to remove it (or at least remove it for free or low-cost).

Naturally, I would want a professional and someone who is covered by insurance.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a somewhat random question
Leaving it alone is free.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,530,458 times
I agree you should keep it for resale.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM

41,709 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Leave it. It's not taking up any space that you need.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,323,967 times
yeah, even if it isn't for resale, leave it b/c you might need it.

I guess it really depends on why you don't want it there. if you have a real reason, ie want a lift in your garage and its in the way, or want to build a raquetball court and need the headspace, ok demo away. otherwise... no one is going to remove for free, and they can't really reuse the wood.

you can put christmas decorations up there for the year, or your patio furnature up there for the winter, or whatever.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM

455 posts, read 1,134,321 times
Default Thanks for the responses

Quote to remove it from the installer was almost $1000.

I hear what y'all are saying in terms of keeping it for resale value. I had considered that, as I think we'll probably only be in the house for 3-5 years.

Hadn't considered renting out the space! In my old city (NYC) I could probably have rented it out as an apartment! :P

Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,988,532 times
Congratulations.

This is the first time I've heard someone saying they need less storage space. I'm kind of impressed.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,731,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post

I guess it really depends on why you don't want it there. if you have a real reason, ie want a lift in your garage and its in the way...
This is exactly why I'm going to be removing a loft in the garage. That, and we don't keep "stuff" around that we're not actively using anyway so for us it's basically a huge shelf up in the air for dust to settle on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House