Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times

Advertisements

If you own a steam washer/dryer and/or the Dyson Ball, how do you like it? Recommend? Stay away? We're going to be buying appliances this weekend so I wanted people's opinions. We're thinking about getting the Samsung one. I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,129 times
I don't know about Dyson's ball vac, but I will tell you that I have a SEBO cannister vac that can maneuver around just about anything (prob. can go where the ball cannot because mine also goes flat under a bed and other furniture). It's "self propelled" also, and it makes vacuuming actually pleasant if you can imagine that. The main reason I bought it, however, is because I was tired of long hair getting wound around the brush and having vacuum motors burn out on me. Mine has a real slick removable brush that makes cleaning it real easy, and the bearings are covered in the ends where the brush attaches to the housing; so hair cannot get caught to seize up the movement. Filters are a bit expensive but I believe I may never have to purchase another vacuum. Love it. Try one out somewhere where they sell them, before you decide firmly on the Dyson ball.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,328 times
I have a Dyson, but it's not a "ball". I love it....very powerful suction.

I, too, would love to know about steam dryers.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,259 times
Default About the Dyson Ball concept

Dyson use the ball method of movement on several of their vacuums but not all. The ones that come to mind include the dyson dc24 all floors and animal models, the dyson dc25 all floors and animal models, and the Dyson DC15 The Ball.

The ball approach to movement utilizes a ball-encased motor that glides along the floor/carpet and can be turned quickly and easily just using the wrist. Traditional fixed wheel vacuums only move back and forth and are hard to turn or pivot. The ball technology is said to make vacuuming around obstacles (like furniture) very easy. The surface of the ball also does not scratch delicate hard floors. The Dyson site has an explanation of the technology as well as a short video (with James Dyson) on the ball idea (http://www.dyson.com/technology/balltechnology.asp - broken link). Also
this video on YouTube by a Dyson Engineer on the development of the ball technology is really good (and not too long). And this guy does decent Dyson vacuum reviews so you can view the DC24, DC25, and DC15 models there.

Many consumers like the ball means of maneuvering a vacuum and claim that once they get used to it they would never go back to a conventional machine. However I have read that some owners never fully get used to the way these vacuums move and ultimately indicate that they prefer the fixed wheel approach. Perhaps trying one out in a store before buying is a good idea - just to see if the feel works for you.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
I actually have both!

Steam dryer first: I have a Samsung model. It does not have a water compartment to have to refill. It connects directly into the water line which I like so the water will not become stagnant and I don't have to refill the compartment. I think the steam cycle works great for refreshing clothing. I have used it on linen shirts and they have come out with reduced wrinkles. No they are not wrinkle free but has less wrinkles. I am too lazy to pull out the iron

I also use the steam cycle to refresh a load that has sat in the dryer and I didn't have the chance to get them straight out of the dryer.

Dyson Ball (DC 24) It is very easy to maneuver and it is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned. I also have a DC 8 (Purple - Animal). If you have pets, I would recommend spending the extra money for an Animal model as it has more attachments. I especially like the mini-turbine head for carpeted stairs and furniture.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Here is a thread on Dyson vacuum cleaners:

Anyone have a Dyson vaccum cleaner?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
I don't have the Ball, but I have the Dyson Animal and LOVE it. It picks up so much stuff and is easy to use. We have two kids, a yellow lab, and a cat so there is a lot of dirt and hair and it's great. Well worth the money we paid for it.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 PM

76 posts, read 304,099 times
I don't have a steam dryer. Also don't have a dyson ball - but have family that does have it - and I've used it. I'm chiming in to this thread too though because I'm an avid Consumer Reports reader. They say the steam dryers aren't really worth the $$. Don't expect shirts to come out completely wrinkle-free. I find the best thing to do is remove shirts and dress pants immediately from the dryer and hang up right away - a lot wrinkles come out on their own just by doing that.

The Ball, I'm not really impressed with. Yes, it's easy to maneuver, but that's about it. The canister fills up pretty quickly. I don't know why, but it seems to fluff up everything it sucks in, making the canister fill up a lot. I guess another plus (besides maneuverability) is that it is relatively light. Other than that, I don't think it's suction qualities are out of this world.

I have a Kenmore Progressive with InteliClean... I got it as a gift 5 years ago. It is still going strong... it has no belts. Great suction and tools. I think it's around $200. Not as light as the Dyson though.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
I have a Dyson, not the ball, and it is fantastic, especially with pets. Amazing suction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House