Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Another update - smoke smell completely removed from the inside of the house, to my shock. I ended up having a mold issue that will probably cause me to leave when it gets hot again ... the smoke smell was so bad at first I didn't smell any mold/mildew...but regardless, it really is possible to eliminate it!
Glad to hear your problem is resolved! I had a similar issue with my new house. Although the house was freshly painted and the floors refinised before we moved in, there was still that smoky smell. Someone told me to clean the radiators really well as well as all of the windows. We don't smell smoke anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,472 times
Talking Smoke smell in heating ducts/vents

NorasMom,

How did you get the smell out??

Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 AM

266 posts, read 449,617 times
Quote:
I'm moving into a rental house that has an unbelievable smell of smoke inside. Walls stained, the whole deal. They are replacing the carpets, and I'm going to prime the interior myself with the BIN primer (that they allowed me to do it myself is the only reason I decided to take the house). But - I don't know how to make sure the smoke smell doesn't shoot back out whenever I have the AC or heat on. Neither was on when I went to look at it.

I'll change the filter and clean the vents...stick the swifter duster in there...but I'm worried that the smoke smell is within the unit itself (I read something about it collecting on coils?). As this is a rental, I'd rather not pay for a professional cleaning, and I'm not sure I can convince the owner to do this if it costs a lot. Whatever I can do myself I'd like to do!

Anything I can spray in the intake vent that will really do it? Thanks! Worried about my dog breathing that in (not so much me...I'm a smoker, lol, but NEVER inside and am trying to quit...)
Go to a smoke shop or find online a smoke neutralizer. Open the container and place near a return air grill. You may desire placing one per return air grill. I should think the landlord accept the cost.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphi99 View Post
NorasMom,

How did you get the smell out??
Zissner BIN shellac primer and new carpets.

I think I killed half my brain cells with that primer. It seals in everything, though. Ventilate more than I did!

I do think it was in the central air mechanism too, but I was really diligent about changing filters so it ended up not a problem. I don't think the previous tenants even used a filter. We did have the ducts cleaned as well.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 PM

97 posts, read 125,851 times
I heard different opinions about installing UV lamps near the evaporator coil. Depends how sensitive the inhabitants are to mold. HEPA filter, air purifier, or a larger media air filter (for the return grill) may help.

Indication of mold suggests relative indoor humidity (RHI) is very high. RHI<50% prevents mold from becoming a problem.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,553 times
Default Walk Away

The original OP may have already been screwed or not, but I want to comment for anyone that comes along on this forum wanting to know the answer to this question. The answer is no, you can't. That smell will never go away. Period.

I bought a house with smoke smell in it, and basically it is the biggest regret of my life, well second biggest regret... Walk away. Walk away now. If you're looking at a house that even has a hint of cigarette smell walk out as soon as you smell it. Leave the house to so some other sucker, or to some smoker that doesn't care if it smells. I'm am blatantly telling you I was a sucker for buying a cigarette smelly house. I am an idiot, but hopefully my idiocy means you don't have to be one.

Anyone who has answered on this forum otherwise has not gone through this, so they don't know.

WALK AWAY. Losing the option money is better than suffering through a smelly house. Heck, losing earnest money is better than suffering through a smelly house. It will cost thousands to REDUCE the smell. Not get rid of it, reduce it. Thousands. Maybe tens of thousands. I hope I am helping someone to make the right decision here.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Another update - smoke smell completely removed from the inside of the house, to my shock. I ended up having a mold issue that will probably cause me to leave when it gets hot again ... the smoke smell was so bad at first I didn't smell any mold/mildew...but regardless, it really is possible to eliminate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJackM View Post
The original OP may have already been screwed or not, but I want to comment for anyone that comes along on this forum wanting to know the answer to this question. The answer is no, you can't. That smell will never go away. Period.

I bought a house with smoke smell in it, and basically it is the biggest regret of my life, well second biggest regret... Walk away. Walk away now. If you're looking at a house that even has a hint of cigarette smell walk out as soon as you smell it. Leave the house to so some other sucker, or to some smoker that doesn't care if it smells. I'm am blatantly telling you I was a sucker for buying a cigarette smelly house. I am an idiot, but hopefully my idiocy means you don't have to be one.

Anyone who has answered on this forum otherwise has not gone through this, so they don't know.

WALK AWAY. Losing the option money is better than suffering through a smelly house. Heck, losing earnest money is better than suffering through a smelly house. It will cost thousands to REDUCE the smell. Not get rid of it, reduce it. Thousands. Maybe tens of thousands. I hope I am helping someone to make the right decision here.
The OP got the smell out.

You can get rid of the smell of smoke from a smokers house. I'm sorry you weren't able to get rid of it.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Charcoal brickettes are a natural absorber for smoke odor on interior. Another is baking soda. Had packets placed at the vents and thru time it worked...

My ex was a fire fighter, he knew all the tricks for getting that odor removed.. On cloth on walls and in hvac systems.

Baloney to the person who encourages running from a property with this concern. Heck I've gotten cars that needed some repair... It had great potential... So a bit of elbow grease and things improved. So too with a home...

I had to repaint walls and kilz did the job of any smoke residue. I washed them down with vinegar and baking soda solution.

Glad the op got the matter resolved..

Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Right NorasMom,
It's in the AC evaporator coil( if present), in the windings of the blower fan, on the blower fan, all around the heat exchanger, the plenums, the grille boots, and of course, the ducts. The components you are rightly concerned about can be removed and clean and the ducts can be replaced. Where it is not possible to replace, they can clean as best they can and treat. Insurance restoration companies do this all the time. I'm sorry for the trouble and expense though...please let us know what happens!
There are foaming coil cleaners that can clean the coils. You spray it on then turn on AC. The coil starts to sweat and the cleaner starts working

Old 05-30-2017, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 21,689 times
Thanks for the "smoke" help.
Having tried every cleaning and painting suggestion, I just found out a company was here for two weeks before the place went to market. Not sure if they addressed horrid smoke smell, but now going to try coil cleaner, take the AC apart, and add an ozone light. WILL pay it forward IF there is any small HOPE.
Not too hopeful though. We are so upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House