Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,511 times

Advertisements

Doing some spring cleaning and have noticed some grime on the interior walls of the hallway. These walls I believe were painted without oil based paint. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Can you tell what the finish is? Is it at all shiny? Flat latex paint doesn't clean as easily as eggshell or semi-gloss. People will make recommendations accordingly.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Can you tell what the finish is? Is it at all shiny? Flat latex paint doesn't clean as easily as eggshell or semi-gloss. People will make recommendations accordingly.
Its not shiny or glossy

Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Hmmm. Then it's probably a flat finish latex paint and I'm not the best person to answer how to clean it. It's harder to clean because solvents can lift the paint color away. Personally, I'd be tempted to try one of those mr clean magic erasers on an inconspicuous spot - but I'm not recommending that since it's untested (at least by me). I'd wait for others. Good luck with it - I'll be interested to see what advice people have!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Hi, This link has a good formula to use, and when you are done, you can start on mine.
TLC Home "How to Clean Your Walls and Ceilings: Tips"

Old 04-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Hmmm. Then it's probably a flat finish latex paint and I'm not the best person to answer how to clean it. It's harder to clean because solvents can lift the paint color away. Personally, I'd be tempted to try one of those mr clean magic erasers on an inconspicuous spot - but I'm not recommending that since it's untested (at least by me). I'd wait for others. Good luck with it - I'll be interested to see what advice people have!
Well thanks, I think a flat latex sounds right because like you said it looks hard to clean due to solvents probably lifting the paint.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,816 times
In my opinion, you may have a very hard time getting grime off. Flat paint shows every kind of dirt, smuge, oil stains, you name it. We purchased our home last summer and the previous owners painted the entire house in a Aztec yellow/gold color in flat paint. It was pretty atrocious and what made it worse, they had pets also and there were so many stains and smudges, the only thing we could do was apply a primer and repaint, which is what we were going to do in the first place. I'm not suggesting you do that, but if you do, a semigloss paint is awesome since all you would need is a sponge and soap to clean up.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I have several dogs who seem to rub along the walls a lot of the time. I recently started cleaning baseboards with Murphy's Oil Soap and also did the flat painted walls up to about the 3 ft level. Worked like a charm and there is no demarcation line of what got washed and what didn't. I used about 2 oz per gallon of hot water and simple cotton bar towels.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Hi, This link has a good formula to use, and when you are done, you can start on mine.
TLC Home "How to Clean Your Walls and Ceilings: Tips"
Thanks for the link..I'm expensive and I dont do windows

Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
In my opinion, you may have a very hard time getting grime off. Flat paint shows every kind of dirt, smuge, oil stains, you name it. We purchased our home last summer and the previous owners painted the entire house in a Aztec yellow/gold color in flat paint. It was pretty atrocious and what made it worse, they had pets also and there were so many stains and smudges, the only thing we could do was apply a primer and repaint, which is what we were going to do in the first place. I'm not suggesting you do that, but if you do, a semigloss paint is awesome since all you would need is a sponge and soap to clean up.
Well its not that bad that I need to repaint, but very good suggestion with the semigloss paint which would definately make it easier to clean. Once I paint the place in a few years.. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House