Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM

175 posts, read 750,175 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know everybody always asks what wood floor cleaner or solution to use.

I need one they will really clean, I can use long term, and will do as little damage as possible to my floors. The kicker-I really live on a farm. 10 horses, 5 cats, and 2 dogs. I wear spurs in the house, I come in covered in mud, dirt, hair and so do the dogs. I don't have time to clean the floors everyday. I'm lucky if I clean them every 2 weeks-not trying to be gross but I work a full time job and then come home to work on a farm

My floors are 5 inch brazilian cherry planks with a satin finish and lots of scratches in the poly already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Murphy's Wood Floor Soap Cleaner and Orange Glo to give it shine and protection. You might consider leaving the spurs at the door.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
We too have wood floors and live on a farm. Ours are sealed in some rooms, not in others. What I do:

Vaccuum, not sweep, the floors- gets all the crap out of the cracks and gouges. Then I spritz and spots that look rough with cleaner and fire up the steam mop (doesn't have to be fancy, mine came from Home Depot and cost about 30 bucks) then plug in a dropcord (that's extension cord for everyone not in the south, lol) and go to town.

I have three kids (10,12,18) and I have fibro, so there's days I can really knock it out and days when staying out of bed all day is my major accomplishment. What I found that helps us is a chore list. We all have the same jobs on the same days each week, taking my husband's days off from work off from house chores. Takes each of us 30 minutes or less to do the jobs and believe it or not, the house looks the best it has in years!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM

175 posts, read 750,175 times
Spurs are always kept on my boots, and sometimes you really have to pee! I saw reviews where orange glo left a hazy film on floors-is that just for laminate?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Our flooring company recomends Bona:

Products - Official Bona® US Site - MyBonaHome.com

They make cleaners under a couple different names. Flooring guys actually told us to go to Home Depot for it because it was identical to their 'house brand' and a lot cheaper at big orange.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I imagine you'd clean floors in a farm house the same way you'd clean floors in a city house.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I imagine you'd clean floors in a farm house the same way you'd clean floors in a city house.

That was my initial thought!
But OP did say: "cleaning wood floors in a farm house" specifically.

Would it be safe to assume that when you say farmhouse- we're talking a house that's 40+yrs old?
If so, the cleaning procedure (and the refinishing) can be quite different than today's floors that have a polyurethane finish.
I also refuse to keep repeating myself-
This issue has been hashed, thrashed, rehashed, kicked, shoveled, spit-on, and taken to the cleaners (sorry for the pun) so many times it's ridiculous!!!
Use the search box at the top of the house forum page!

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That was my initial thought!
But OP did say: "cleaning wood floors in a farm house" specifically.
I think the farmhouse reference had more to do with the amount of dirt than the age of the floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Would it be safe to assume that when you say farmhouse- we're talking a house that's 40+yrs old?
Not really. People build new houses on farms.

And the OP has brazilian cherry planks, which is trendy wood these days. An old farm house would have oak or pine floors.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
...the OP has brazilian cherry planks, which is trendy wood these days.

I totally zoned on that!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
My 108 yr old farmhouse has a mix of 108 year old and 6 year old floors, both poly'ed and shellacked.

I took the farmhouse reference to mean there's usually more dirt than in a city home (boots can hold a LOT more dirt than some folks realize) and that the dirt can, um, not always be JUST dirt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House