Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 AM

20 posts, read 74,416 times

Advertisements

Note: LHS = left hand side, RHS= right hand side

So a few months ago my faucet to the bathroom sink was leaking so I replaced the corroded o-ring to the LHS stem with a rubber o-ring. One guy at Home depot said it the o-ring I bought would be ok while the other didn't. My faucet was fine for a few months until recently it started leaking again

I checked the LHS stem o-ring and it didnt seem corroded. So I then experimented. I swapped the o-ring from the RHS stem with the LHS stem o-ring, and water still leaked. The RHS o-ring was not corroded. From that, I concluded that the o-ring must not be the problem. It is probably the LHS stem

So I then tried shutting off the LHS water valve under the sink but leaving on the RHS valve. After I did, there was no leaking from the faucet. When I shut off the RHS water valve but leaving on the LHS valve, water still leaked from the faucet. So perhaps the LHS water line is just messed up

When I shut off the LHS valve and removed the LHS stem but left on the RHS valve and RHS stem and then turned the RHS handle to let water come out, water shot up from the hole from the LHS of the removed stem. I believe water then leaked from under the sink. I do not remember if I did the same but shut off the RHS valve and turning on the LHS handle. If I did, I do not think water shot up and leaked from the sink

Last night, just before going to bed, I shut both valves under the sink. When in woke up this morning, i noticed ALOT of water had leaked under the sink.After turning on the LHS valve under the sink, alot of water shot out through the hole where the LHS stem would be. After waiting a few seconds,i turned off the LHS valve again. Then, after a few seconds, I noticed the leaking stopped!

What should I do? Replace the entire faucet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Miller View Post
I checked the LHS stem o-ring and it didnt seem corroded. So I then experimented. I swapped the o-ring from the RHS stem with the LHS stem o-ring, and water still leaked. The RHS o-ring was not corroded. From that, I concluded that the o-ring must not be the problem. It is probably the LHS stem
Either the stem or the valve body itself. Since you've replaced the o-rings already and it still leaks, I'm leaning more towards the valve body itself.

Quote:
So I then tried shutting off the LHS water valve under the sink but leaving on the RHS valve. After I did, there was no leaking from the faucet. When I shut off the RHS water valve but leaving on the LHS valve, water still leaked from the faucet. So perhaps the LHS water line is just messed up
The issue is on the LHS of the faucet.

Quote:
When I shut off the LHS valve and removed the LHS stem but left on the RHS valve and RHS stem and then turned the RHS handle to let water come out, water shot up from the hole from the LHS of the removed stem. I believe water then leaked from under the sink. I do not remember if I did the same but shut off the RHS valve and turning on the LHS handle. If I did, I do not think water shot up and leaked from the sink
Water will seek the path of least resistance ... which would be out the left hand side of the faucet's opened valve body. Remember the outlets are interconnected at the spout.

Quote:
Last night, just before going to bed, I shut both valves under the sink. When in woke up this morning, i noticed ALOT of water had leaked under the sink.After turning on the LHS valve under the sink, alot of water shot out through the hole where the LHS stem would be. After waiting a few seconds,i turned off the LHS valve again. Then, after a few seconds, I noticed the leaking stopped!
The angle stops valves under the sink are not closing tightly. Exercising it like you did may help dislodge the crud ... or it may end up making it worse. If it's old, it won't be long before it can't seal at all.

Quote:
What should I do? Replace the entire faucet?
At this stage, replacing the faucet and the two stop valves would be the suggested choice.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM

20 posts, read 74,416 times
So I went to Home depot this weekend and explained the situation to a worker there. He suggested that I replace the stem for the LHS valve. Since it was far cheaper than buying a new faucet, I decided to give it a try. So after installing the new stem on Saturday, I had no problems with the faucet leaking nor leaking from underneath the sink.

BUT, this morning, I noticed water leaking from the faucet again! I turned off the RHS valve, but water stll leaked. Then I turned off the LHS valve, and the water stopped leaking. Then, I opened up both valves, and the water continued to not leak! Although I'm temporarily satisfied, I'm also really confused.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
At this point and to stop the confusion and frustration, replace the turn off valves and the faucet. It sounds like you did everything that should fix the problem to no avail. We have a disposable society and faucets are easily replaced. I guess it would help the economy too. Try to buy American.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 29,445 times
kitchen faucet drips even when I turned the water off under the sink

Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 29,445 times
kitchen faucet drips even when I turned the water off under the sink

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Sounds like the seat under the stem is corroded and thus not making full contact. So either replace the seat (PITA w/o a seat removal tool and the condition of the threads) or replace the entire faucet. Go to EBay and find a faucet you like and order it. I just replaced three of them for a similar situation. BTW I ordered the faucets with ceramic stems as they are much easier to deal with in the future.

Electric Blanket Discount, Door Lock, Bathroom Faucet Kitchen Sale

Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,900 times
Give us some pictures or at least the name of the faucet. Unless it is ancient, many faucets come with a lifetime warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House