Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
just seems stupid to pay for the baiting if I am just going to rip it out when I occupy. I guess I will try to convince the builder again to do the liquid treatment.

Just remember, whoever does the termiticide treatment will also have the bond on the house. If you change to another company they will probably not accept/transfer the bond. Which would mean a full retreat ($$$) for them (the new co.) to carry a bond.
State of GA no longer requires a termite bond on a house to sale- but as a buyer I would certainly want to know if there is or was a bond- and/if how long it has be expired (re-sell). New home builders do pretreats/bait systems as a standard feature of a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 376 times
Is Termite an issue in Northern AZ area (e.g. Prescott)? We are thinking about building in the area and are wondering if its worth spending the extra money to have the builder do termite pre-treatment.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljel View Post
Is Termite an issue in Northern AZ area (e.g. Prescott)? We are thinking about building in the area and are wondering if its worth spending the extra money to have the builder do termite pre-treatment.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.
In a word, yes.
National map below-
Attached Thumbnails
Termite Treatment - New Home-img_2830.jpg  

Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You can protect the wood with Copper Napthenate. Not sure on spelling. That is not a solution to the termites being there, but will discourage future attacks.

There are lots of different chemicals that kill subterranean termites. some work better than others. We always relied on a pro to sort it out.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
I had a termite inspection few months ago and they couldn't find termites. But I am thinking about some preventive maintenance. Recently sprayed Bayer termite&bug control around the house foundation. Started seeing dead bugs at the entrance. But how long will it stay in the ground? We just had some heavy rains.
What are the most efficient treatment products I can get to spray around the house?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
But how long will it stay in the ground?

Did you read the instructions?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
What is the more inexpensive option in the short term and in the long term? My builder wants to do bait stations but isnt that expensive every year? I thought with the foundation exposed a chemical treatment would be the way to go. suggestions?

We had our wood frame treated by a bug company. They treated.coated the foundation wood sitting on the slab. We live in south Texas.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
We have a termite bond and our house is inspected once a year. They only inspect the outside. We started that after our house was built. We also put gravel and rocks around our foundation, making a barrier so no dirt or grass is nearby. On one side we have pavers by the foundation.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
We also put gravel and rocks around our foundation, making a barrier so no dirt or grass is nearby. On one side we have pavers by the foundation.

Next time the technician comes ask him this specific question-
"Am I inviting termites to my house because I have created a vapor barrier with rock, stone, and pavers?"

If he doesn't understand the question put it this way- "the stone and pavers help the soil retain moisture; since termites like warm moist places, is this an invitation for them?"

I'll be very curious to hear what s/he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House