Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If a screw or threaded rod gets broken, I can make a slot for a flathead screwdriver using a dremel tool and cutoff blade. Philips head screws bugger up and can be impossible to remove as is. Torx is a lot less likely to do so because the interface is vertical and not prone to slippage. Flatheads are better than phillips in the same way. No one choice is best. Each has its own strong point.
Get a extractor set as its even easier without the chance of ruinig the surroundig area. No need for dremel at all for removng ruined screwheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The dremel has worked fine for me, but thanks for the tip.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
What I cannot understand is why do we have two different shapes of phillips screwdrivers? There really is no reason for it except to sell more tools. Then we get into the square drivers, torx, those stupid new things that require a driver that looks like a horseshoe. WHY?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I install commercial doors in buildings. Decades ago on schools all flat bladed screws had to be installed with the slot vertical. Now days all hinges are installed with a #3phillips screws and there is no direction required on screws. However no screws with buggered up screw tip slots are allowed.

In very recent years schools now require piano hinges to prevent children getting fingers in the door jambs. Canada has a odd screw pattern, kind of a cross of phillips and square slot.
I inspected schools in So CA for many years and at no time did the orientation of hinge screws ever come into play. It must have been a very local thing in your case, or maybe the obsession of one individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House