Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 04:53 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,466 times

Advertisements

I've read that you can save a lot of money buying an HVAC unit online and having it shipped to your house often for free vs buying one from a local HVAC dealer, saving big markup. However, would any HVAC contractors be willing to install a unit that was purchased by a homeowner online? Has anyone done this and have any pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I've read that you can save a lot of money buying an HVAC unit online and having it shipped to your house often for free vs buying one from a local HVAC dealer, saving big markup.
Sometimes, yes. Understand that some manufacturers have different warranty policies when it comes to such internet purchases. Whether that's worth it or not is up to you.

Quote:
However, would any HVAC contractors be willing to install a unit that was purchased by a homeowner online? Has anyone done this and have any pros and cons?
You might find one who won't mind doing the work, but they're not going to guarantee anything either.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
I've read that you can save a lot of money buying an HVAC unit online and having it shipped to your house often for free vs buying one from a local HVAC dealer, saving big markup. However, would any HVAC contractors be willing to install a unit that was purchased by a homeowner online? Has anyone done this and have any pros and cons?

Why not at least look into it? I didn't think buying (heavy) automobile tires would be cheaper online considering the shipping charges but it is.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
most HVAC companies, as opposed to a contractor doing side work, will not install owner provided units.

they want to provide the unit in order ot ensure that it properly fits the appliction, isn't going to cause delays for them, and is working perfectly. THey also will provide a warrenty.

if things go great with the online shop and there isn't a problem with the equipment it is fine. if the HVAC guy opens up the crate and the unit is damaged, they just wasted their day, if it came from their supplier they can get one within the hour to replace it.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I just ordered a new 2.5 ton 15 seer Payne heat pump for $1900. A friend who is HVAC certified will install it for me. I shouldn't have around over $2800 invested in it, compared to the $5k a dealer/contractor would want.

My unit should arrive around Monday, so I'll update here with my experience.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
most HVAC companies, as opposed to a contractor doing side work, will not install owner provided units.

they want to provide the unit in order ot ensure that it properly fits the appliction, isn't going to cause delays for them, and is working perfectly. THey also will provide a warrenty.
They want to provide the unit so they can mark it up 200%.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
Quote:
I have a rental trailer that needed a new furnace. My cheapest quote was 1850.00 for 10K size furnace only installed in my trailer.

I went to a mobile home parts store site out of Indianapolis, IN and had a Coleman 10K furnace shipped to my house in Nebraska by Conway trucking. They delivered into my house. Total cost of furnace was 522.00. There were no taxes and shipping was 25.00.

I called several install companies and none balked at installing it. We got it installed for 650.00 which 500.00 was paid for by a weatherization program my renter qualified for with her low income, so we only had out of pocket 150.00.

But still 1147.00 total cost is a lot cheaper than 1850.00. It was a guaranteed install. The only con was it took 5 to 7 days to get here. I have since ordered several items for my pickup online and have saved a bundle on taxes and shipping. Shipping is free after X amount is spent and most of my items cost quite a bit. Very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House