Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Can I Use Cast Iron on a Glass Top Range? | Instructional/How To | Cooking in Cast Iron

I found this article while looking up WHY you 'can't' use cast iron, as I use a cast iron pan all the time - as a matter of fact, I keep my small 8" on the silicone trivet on the top all the time. I don't feel comfortable putting it away with my other 'clean' pans.
The biggest reason I don't use cast iron is because the warranty is voided when I do and I was clearly told by the sales rep not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,430 times
Make sure the surface is actually cool before you use any cleaners on it, or you will be scraping the cleaner residue off for hours...!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 AM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Can I Use Cast Iron on a Glass Top Range? | Instructional/How To | Cooking in Cast Iron

I found this article while looking up WHY you 'can't' use cast iron, as I use a cast iron pan all the time - as a matter of fact, I keep my small 8" on the silicone trivet on the top all the time. I don't feel comfortable putting it away with my other 'clean' pans.
Thanks for the link. It makes sense...probably too many consumers complaining about scratches or dropping the pans and breaking the glass. It's not so much a function of the stove itself, more a CYA move.

Funny, though, because the manufacturer tells you to scrape it with a razor blade to clean it. I'd be surprised if I have't put some scratches in it myself doing just that.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 810 times
I cleaned the surface while cold. I used a multipurpose product. I let it rest and forgot about it. An hour later I cooked something. I waited to be cold to clean it and then those horrible stains appear. I don't know what to do to make them deappear. I know it was stupid, but can you help me.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Here's what I would do: replace it with gas or with an induction cook top.

If you can't do that, then understand that cleaning after every use is mandatory.

When you heat a pan on high, have another burner on med or low at the same time. When you've used the high setting and now need a med or low setting, move the pan to the other preheated burner. Response time on an electric cooktop is much slower than on a gas.

If the instructions for your cook top say not to use iron, then I wouldn't. I did use iron on mine, and I had it for 13 years. As far as I know it had no restrictions on which pots to use.

You can also get a single induction burner to use for heating pasta water, or water for tea or any other fast heating chore. They are relatively inexpensive. You will need a pan with a magnetic bottom for this. You will be happy with the way the burner heats water. On the electric cook top--not so much.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
When making caramel or other kinds of candy, do not let it boil over onto the glass - it can permanently damage it. Not that you EVER want to make a mess like that, lol, but it can really mess up the surface.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasstop1 View Post
I cleaned the surface while cold. I used a multipurpose product. I let it rest and forgot about it. An hour later I cooked something. I waited to be cold to clean it and then those horrible stains appear. I don't know what to do to make them deappear. I know it was stupid, but can you help me.
Use a glass or ceramic cooktop cleaner like Cerama Bryte or Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner and a damp dish sponge. NOTE: Do not use general purpose Scotch Brite green scouring pads. Those are made of fibers hard enough to scratch glass and will leave permanent swirl marks on the cooktop.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Never put a pair of plastic frame glasses on a burner. You might turn on the wrong burner and melt the frames.

Moral: Do not set anything on the stove that doesn't belong on the stove.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Be careful if you fry stuff that it doesn't overflow, it might catch the stovetop on fire. This happened to me once, but I was able to turn off the heat and blow out the fire because it was not that much grease and just from a small sauce pan fryer.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Yes, to the overflowing. Be careful.

If you set a pot lid down on the glass surface, it might stick and be hard to pull up. Slide it off the edge of the stove top.

In my experience with these, they work just like the electric coil stoves. Slow to heat up, slow to cool down, slow response time. Clean up is more straightforward than with the coil burners, but it is still crucial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House