Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 01:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times

Advertisements

In my part of Florida 95%+ of new homes use an electric heat pump for heating and cooling, and if you're doing that, it takes a very picky person to decide it's worth it to deal with the expense of a gas line just for stove, water heater, and/or clothes dryer. There's typically no huge difference between electric and gas dryers, so it comes down to water heater and stove.

As a result, it seems like you only end up seeing gas stoves in v. high end new homes down here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
I hate my gas stove. In complete contrast to what the knobs say, the burners have only two settings: HIGH and SUPERHIGH. It's virtually impossible to simmer anything. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, otherwise I'll be buying an electric stove to replace it eventually.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Christina, we have the same problem, even on the small burners. Simmering food in a covered pot is impossible. You just reminded me that I promised DW to make an alcohol chafing burner for her, to give her an alternative. I've tried diffusers and elevating the pot slightly - no joy. Turning the burner flame adjustment down too much leaves them susceptible to blowing out. All I can suggest for you is buying a cheap hotplate.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,706 times
I grew up cooking with gas (in the South), and I prefer it because it's easier to control the heat and more energy efficient.

Alas, our soon-to-be home in South Florida is in a neighborhood where no natural gas infrastructure is present. Most neighborhoods here do not have natural gas. Some people do have propane tanks and appliances that use propane, which are great for post-storm power loss. Maybe we will do that one day, but it could cost a lot to have all that piping put in.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In my part of Florida 95%+ of new homes use an electric heat pump for heating and cooling, and if you're doing that, it takes a very picky person to decide it's worth it to deal with the expense of a gas line just for stove, water heater, and/or clothes dryer. There's typically no huge difference between electric and gas dryers, so it comes down to water heater and stove.

As a result, it seems like you only end up seeing gas stoves in v. high end new homes down here.
You can also use natural gas for a pool heater, which is much less expensive to run than an electric. I live in South Florida and it is hard to find homes with NG lines here.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
we cant get gas up to our house, theres no natural gas lines in the town at all, and zoning doesnt allow a propane tank...so its electric for us...

we grew up on gas, its the prefered ethod in the UK, but we got used to electric here.
i think most of it is simply using whats available and cheap, its cheaper to run electric nto a home than it is to run a gas line...so most homes get electric...

if you live in an area that has a good nat gas acess, then your more likely to be able to get gas.

the house im hopign to buy is natural gas but doesnt have NG in the kitchen, so itll depend on how much it would cost to bring it in to the kitchen as to whether or not i go electric or gas in the kitchen...

Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Many rural areas do not have Natural gas around the country. Also if you live on a mountain like I do, and with all the rock , it would work anyway. I am only 4 miles out of the city, but thats enough alone. I have had many problems with Propane over the years, it has lots of price ups and down, mostly up. I was quoted several thousand to run lines, and the would only put in 2 1000 gal tanks, all prepaid ! needless to say I went all electric. We have great rates as part of our local power comes from Hydro.., and coal which is delivered by freighter directly to the plant. Our rates are .07 cents. I paid 5,000 for the service to the house as I am the last one on the private road.400 amp was another 3,000 thousand., still cleaper than propane, not only to install but rate wise as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
I have an electric stove but I prefer gas. Electric stoves, especially those glass top flat ones, suck.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I prefer, and have, a gas range. In fact, my house is so old it has a gas stub-out on the wall behind the refrigerator space.

I grew up in an all electric house because my mom was convinced gas "made the walls sooty". Once I left home and was assigned to my first fire station, I relearned cooking on a huge Wolf range from the early fifties, and that hooked me.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but there once was a time in California when an all-electric home was considered a selling point, something to brag about in the sales literature. They even had a name and symbol for it: "The Gold Medallion All-Electric Home." That symbol and those words were the doorbell bezel on the Orange County tract home my parents bought in 1963.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,546,304 times
Definitely depends where you're at. In the upper midwest (Pittsburgh through to Chicago, and even down to where I'm at now in Cincinnati) - NG is fairly common as a heat source, and if you're going to run the furnace off it anyway - its not hard then to use it for hot water heater/ clothes dryer and oven.

I grew up in a home that had all of that. Strangely, I found when we built our home in Cinci, even though they were running gas for the furnace/ hw heater -- the builder otherwise defaults to electric for stove/dryer.

If you're wondering why -- appliance manufacturers make more of the electric version, and so they are cheaper to buy.

We paid the upgrade charge to have the laundry area plumbed for gas, as well the stove area.

NG is so much cheaper as a fuel source than electricity, I can't imagine what our electric bills would be if we went away from NG completely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House