Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 AM

123 posts, read 567,003 times

Advertisements

We have a 2400 sq. ft colonial house in NY and want to install central AC. We got different feedback from different installer:

1. One installer said one stage AC with two zone system
2. Another said one stage AC with one zone, stating that the cost of two zone is not worth it
3. Another said install two stage AC with two zone.

We are confused as what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,648,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny826 View Post
We have a 2400 sq. ft colonial house in NY and want to install central AC. We got different feedback from different installer:

We are confused as what to do?
I had to look up what two stage vs single stage means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehow
A two-stage air conditioner compresses air for cooling using two pistons.
This allows the unit to cool more air faster using the same amount of energy as a single-stage unit.
Kewl. That sounds like a good thing.

As to doubling up the zones and doubling up your equipment costs...
that choice is probably more about how the ductwork can best be run without disturbing too many walls and such to get it installed.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 65,734,457 times
Do you have forced air system now? And adding A/C?
Or do you have some other heat system?
That could change your whole perspective as to how and why.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 AM

I already have baseboard heating throughout the house.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM

23,558 posts, read 70,095,641 times
I need to start off with a rant. Sorry.

This is from the e-how link:
"Single-Stage
A single-stage air conditioner compresses air for cooling the inside of a home or other structure using a single piston. The piston compresses air, trapping it in the air conditioning unit.

Two-Stage
A two-stage air conditioner compresses air for cooling using two pistons. This allows the unit to cool more air faster using the same amount of energy as a single-stage unit."

E-How is basically a click-farm. It takes common questions, pays folks a minimal amount to answer them, and gets itself high listings in Goggle search terms. Air conditioners do NOT compress air. Let me repeat that... Air conditioners do NOT compress air.

Do NOT trust E-How. EVER. If it comes up on a search result - ignore it. I cannot stress strongly enough that E-How is one of the WORST results of the way the internet is structured and uncontrolled. There are Russian virus-writers that do less damage. The very concept of putting out mis-information on what should be a reliable source is an affront to education, knowledge, and the very essence of humanity rising above superstition. If you can find a way to spit on the owners of E-How, please do so.

OK, rant over.

If you have baseboard heat, are the companies going to be running attic ducts? Have they calculated the load yet, or are they leaving you in the dark on that? What brands of equipment are they suggesting and why? Is the house one story or two?

2400 sf in a well insulated two story home in NY --- just a WAG, but 3 tons may be sufficient. I would go for a basic system if there are no long duct runs, and make sure there were duct dampers for tweaking the flow. You really don't provide enough info for a solid answer.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,648,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
E-How is basically a click-farm. Air conditioners do NOT compress air.
OK, rant over.
Harry, good catch!

I'm embarrassed and marginally surprised that I didn't catch that detail when I read it 5 seconds before adding the url.
I'm usually more careful. But the desire to (quickly) add 3rd party sources for details we're weak on still warrants knowing that source is credible in their own right.

mea culpa

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,102,750 times
I recently had to help an elderly inlaw replace her older A/C & furnace. I have a great HVAC guy that I have known since grade school. His advice was that a multi-stage A/C unit is really gonna see a quicker pay back only in areas where you have either very high humidity OR in applications where you getting a not just a A/C compressor but a year round heat pump for heating.

A variable speed blower is a nice to have, as it results in MORE COMFORT and CAN allow you to run a degree or two less A/C or heat as the season demands which MAY result in cost savings BUT his real world experience is that MOST people really prefer 72 over 73 and thus cost savings is minimal.

When it comes having TWO A/C units in a multi-story house OR a LARGE ranch (over 2400 sq ft) where the bedrooms are well isolated from the rest of the living space this generally is a VERY good idea as a well thought out use of programmable thermostats CAN significantly improve comfort AND result in lower bills so long as people are not "twisting the dial" to keep the whole house at a uniform temp -- when the bedrooms are empty you can allow them to get up into the 80s to save some dough. At night the temperature the first floor living space can be programmed to allow a rise, but in practice that compressor / blower will probably not run at all as cool airs sinks. BIG BIG real world savings and comfort improvements!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

This is from the e-how link:
"Single-Stage
A single-stage air conditioner compresses air for cooling the inside of a home or other structure using a single piston. The piston compresses air, trapping it in the air conditioning unit.

Two-Stage
A two-stage air conditioner compresses air for cooling using two pistons. This allows the unit to cool more air faster using the same amount of energy as a single-stage unit."

E-How is basically a click-farm. It takes common questions, pays folks a minimal amount to answer them, and gets itself high listings in Goggle search terms. Air conditioners do NOT compress air. Let me repeat that... Air conditioners do NOT compress air.

Do NOT trust E-How. EVER. If it comes up on a search result - ignore it. I cannot stress strongly enough that E-How is one of the WORST results of the way the internet is structured and uncontrolled. There are Russian virus-writers that do less damage. The very concept of putting out mis-information on what should be a reliable source is an affront to education, knowledge, and the very essence of humanity rising above superstition. If you can find a way to spit on the owners of E-How, please do so.

OK, rant over.

If you have baseboard heat, are the companies going to be running attic ducts? Have they calculated the load yet, or are they leaving you in the dark on that? What brands of equipment are they suggesting and why? Is the house one story or two?

2400 sf in a well insulated two story home in NY --- just a WAG, but 3 tons may be sufficient. I would go for a basic system if there are no long duct runs, and make sure there were duct dampers for tweaking the flow. You really don't provide enough info for a solid answer.
Harry,

I dunno... I think this one is probably pretty good - How to Meet Work Deadlines | eHow.com

Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM

The HVAC guys have to install duct work throught out the house. The original quote is a 3.5 ton single stage with one zone. It is a basic 13.5 SEER Carrier system. I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher model such as performance series or the infinity series (SEER 16 and higher) with two stage system and two zone. I'm just not sure living in suburb of NY is worth spending the extra cost to a two zone system, or how many years it takes to recoup from the enengy saving.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM

23,558 posts, read 70,095,641 times
13.5 is weak. 16 was common in FL a few years back. 3.5 ton sounds in the range. Again, you are not providing enough info for anyone to say anything but generalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House