Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
I just applied to take the Foreign Service Officer test with the US State Department. I used to work for them and I want to again. Their background check is pretty through, however, background investigation would never be done this early. You have to pass the test, the interview, get a job offer before they'll do background investigation. This is so weird.
Possible FBI background check. Since 9/11 they are especially thorough. Here you go:

Background Checks For Legal Government Jobs At Federal, State And Local Levels | LawCrossing.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
We just bought the house a year ago. There is nothing interesting or unusual about us.
If it is a police "garbage pull" they may be targeting former residents of your home - not realizing they no longer live there.

It is more common on garbage pulls to retrieve the garbage from the truck after pickup, giving $10 to the driver as a "confidential informant" payment. That way the target is no more the wiser and there 's less chance for a "illegal seizure" defense.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Animals taking it is much more likely than one would think. If there was something in there that had a great scent to it, then there ya go.
Thank you for your comment. I concur that I have repeatedly been surprised at what many types of wild animals can do around a row of houses.
I suspect however you may not have "visualized" the scenario when "trash-cans," are a) "used," and, b) "found," empty before anyone-else's trash is collected with the "lids" firmly "reattached," clearly something no "animal," would ever do.
But you are right about the fact that some things that happen outside houses and in basements and outbuildings can be done by animals that one might not expect.
Another point is that sometimes people do this as a bad "prank" to make a resident worry that they were having their identity pirated. Strangers with antisocial pseudo-hobbies or clique rituals. Don't ask me why I think that. "I'll" pretend to have heard "that" from a "groundhog."
Sometimes it's not-only "not" "animals," sometimes it's not even "real" "identity-thieves."

Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
It sounds like the NSA is tracking you

Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
We had a couple teenyboppers take "garbage" (actually recycle bags - same thing) from down the street and (1) spread the contents of one at least 10 houses down and (2) deposit the other, unbroken, next to OUR recycle bags.

That is to say, "no reason" is not defined to a teenybopper...

Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Go to a sporting goods store or Amazon online and buy a game cam that hunters use.

They have night vision and are motion activated.

Hide it in a tree or something and aim it at your garbage.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,072 times
I shred anything that has my name or address.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I don't understand shredding everything that just has your name and address on it......you can get that information just about anywhere.

In the phone book, if you are listed.....or they can just use your address to look up your name on the county auditor's website if you live in your own home....... and I am sure there are other ways.

I only shred or burn paperwork with sensitive information on it.....bank and credit card statements, anything with my SS# on it, etc.

I don't worry about magazines, catalogs, ads, etc. with my name and address on them.

And.....I also don't think animals are to blame....they would have left a mess behind.

Personally.....there is always used cat litter dispersed throughout my garbage.....have fun going through it!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 796 times
Had my garbage can stolen at 10:43 Nov 2nd. Black truck with rims and wide tires with a big white tool box. He looked in side then took it. Had an old lamp earlier that was picked up by a ford truck red with white bottom. A woman took it. But the glass shade part was cracked and there was pieces I put in the can. They must have come back for the parts to the lamp and took the whole can. Called police. Video is not very clear both white people.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:15 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata36 View Post
Animals taking it is much more likely than one would think. If there was something in there that had a great scent to it, then there ya go.
Animals shred garbage bags on the spot. They don't pick up the entire bag and trot off with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House